Rutting - Big Tires vs. Small

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by jbell36, Oct 15, 2008.

1. jbell36

jbell36 LawnSite Bronze Member
    from KANSAS

which one ruts more?

our grasshopper ruts like a *****, given it has tractor tires on it...the JD 757 (which we don't have) has very wide tires on it, is rutting a problem at all with those? having wider tires will give you better traction though right? also, would rutting be more of a problem with something like the JD quik-track with skinnier tires?

i know this is kind of a stupid question but i've heard both sides, just wanna get some opinions from experience...

2. delphied

delphied LawnSite Silver Member

Ever see a path where people walk alot? What about a deer run in the woods. You cant get away from rutting. It will happen with all tires.

3. MileHigh

MileHigh LawnSite Silver Member

skinnier tires rut more than wider tires.

4. Nosmo

Nosmo LawnSite Bronze Member

More weight use wider tires and there will be less rutting. Same principle as a woman wearing loafers then putting on high heels.

More damage to a waxed floor etc. when she is wearing the high heels. More weight in a smaller area.

Nosmo

5. Green Team Landscaping

Green Team Landscaping LawnSite Bronze Member

The weight distribution would be better with the bigger ones, as long as they're turf tires. Don't Grasshoppers have offroading wheels? That may be the problem no matter the size.

6. jbell36

jbell36 LawnSite Bronze Member
    from KANSAS

ya we have the tractor tire for our grasshopper...i don't know why they sell the machines with those tires, it should be only at a request...i do know that those tires are a problem which is really why i started this thread, we are getting a new mower and i wanted to know for sure about tire width...

7. greenred

greenred LawnSite Senior Member
    from IL

The only time I ran into a issue of actual rutting with my Toro ZTR was when the morons that installed one of my customers sprinkler system wrong and in one place a pipe had come lose and had been saturating the ground for a good week. The area looked damp but it had just rained the day before. I drove my ZTR through the area and was lucky to get out. The soil under the turf had turned into a soup. I left one long rut. Some soil and some of that Scotts brand patching product and a month later you couldnt tell it had ever happened.

Other then that the biggest problem I had was when it got dry and in areas I could not change the pattern wheel marks would eventually show up in the grass. But after a rain or two they would go away.

8. ricky86

ricky86 LawnSite Bronze Member

And that depends on the size of the woman.

9. MyKisa

MyKisa LawnSite Member

change foot print, even if it takes a pushmower for those hard areas..anything to offset rut, just a time or two every now and then

10. Green Team Landscaping

Green Team Landscaping LawnSite Bronze Member

I wouldn't go with another Grasshopper if I were you, and for that reason. I'm sure you know this, but you're going to want to stay away from those 1 wheeled sulkys too. It'll be worse. All of your weight being "exerted" on that one wheel.