1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Rutting up irrigated turf.......

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by HS Football Rules, Jul 28, 2007.

1. HS Football Rules

HS Football Rules LawnSite Member

OK..lets get the basics out of the way.....irrigation is properly adjusted...
    turned off completely a day in advance of mowing.
    obvious low spots are avoided.

each property takes 4 guys from 3 to 5 hrs to "mow & blow",, so obviously
    I can't use little mowers, and velkes won't work either.

What's my best big mower solution, taking into consideration..
    weight,,,wheelbase,,,tire size,,,tire pressure.

I initially thought stander, but some feel these rut worse than Z's
  2. HS Football Rules

C'mon....this is the land of opinions...SOMEBODY must have a suggestion!:cool2:
  3. mkroher

mkroher LawnSite Senior Member

cut it a different direction every time.
  4. HS Football Rules

right...I'm with you on that...but I'm looking for the best
    equipment solution..ie..stander..big W/B...small Z...etc.

If you guys have a choice on what to pull off the trailer
    for large areas of soft turf...what do you use?
  5. South Florida Lawns

South Florida Lawns LawnSite Platinum Member
    from usa

So are you trying to figure out which mower will have the least impact on a soggy yard? I would say go with a midsize walk behind.
  6. Greenery

Greenery LawnSite Senior Member

I would think a w/b would be the answer even though the tires are narrower they are half the weight of most riders. i use my 36 w/b on softer ground occasionly just for that reason. my stander seems to lay the grass over on the soft ground due to the weight on the front tires
  7. jcthorne

jcthorne LawnSite Member

I think I've already voiced an opinion about this in a previous post, but I'll say it again. I think large hyrdo walk behinds are best suited for the type of mowing that you will be doing.
    I really like the Exmark Tuf Tracers with a mulch kit and one wheeled sulky for my guys on large complexes. Not as heavy as a Z, can handle the hills, and you don't lose much if any time compared to a Z.
    They are not as comfy as a Z.....but I'm not the one on them.

Not trying to knock anyone by saying this but...........I would bet 90% of the people on here giving you opinions have never handled the type of accounts you are about to take over. That being said, I would value the feedback from a select few on here.

I've followed your posts from the beginning and I've never seen anything other than posts regarding mowing equipment. How are you handling chemical applications.....are you subing them out? What about bed applications for weeds, insects, fungus.....have you got a plan.....are you subing them out? How are you going to handle leaf and pine needle removal? What about mulch......are you going to have it blown or do you plan on laying it yourself? Do you have any irrigation experience? Do you know how to identify disease or problem solve issues regarding plant heath? What about aquatic weed control?.....i'm assuming with complexes of that size they have a retention pond somewhere to help with drainage.

I'm not trying to belittle your efforts. I'm just curious if these are questions you already have answered so you're not getting in over your head.

Just realize, property management on a large scale is nothing like cutting a residential customers yard.
  8. P.Services

P.Services LawnSite Fanatic

how about 72'' scag walk behinds
  9. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

We cut a lot of yards just a little south of you and we have 36" Snapper and Scag Hydro WB units and last year we added the Sentar Sport 36". The past two months with all the rain we cut every day and have got no complaints. In situations where water is standing obviously can't use any kind of mower period have to weed it ...the sentar is not as good as WB probably simply due to weight of rider.
  10. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

not made anymore