RV Antifreeze and Turf

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by GravelyGuy, Mar 25, 2010.

1. GravelyGuy

GravelyGuy LawnSite Silver Member
    from Indiana

Will 1/2 gallon of RV antifreeze mixed with 210 gallons of water be enough to damage cool season grass?

2. indyturf

indyturf LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indy

No it wont cause any problems, I would spray your hose into the tank for a few minutes just to make sure you don't spray it undiluted onto the lawn. but I think RV antifreeze is bio degradable anyway.

3. turfcobob

turfcobob LawnSite Senior Member

It should not as it is safe to drink. It is used in the drinking water system in RV,s. If it is safe for humans it should be ok for grass. We have been using it for several years for winter shipping and it has not been a problem. Dilute it and shoot it.

4. GravelyGuy

from Indiana

Thanks guys. I cleaned everything out of the tank and hose on my skid sprayer, but I forgot to turn on the pump agitation before filling it. I turned on the agitation after dumping herbicide in and out shot pink antifreeze right into the tank. I was in a hurry, should have ran water through it.

I would think at a 200:1 ratio I shoud be okay.

5. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

Better you than me. let us know what happens.
    And by the way... regular antifreeze is tough on grass...I have seen a few spills--killed it dead.

6. naughty62

naughty62 LawnSite Senior Member
    from iowa

Someone posted a test trial last year. and the pure glycol (regular ) was the one that caused problem .

7. Young Bros

Young Bros LawnSite Senior Member

Our RV antifreeze gets mixed with the first tank.

8. GravelyGuy

from Indiana

I test sprayed a spot in my own lawn yesterday and I've held off spraying anyone elses for now.

9. a plus bob

a plus bob LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indiana

It will be fine .

10. MRMelton

MRMelton LawnSite Member

I winterize my tank every year with 4 gallons of rv antifreeze and I don't clean it out. I hae a 200 gallon tank. It doesn't cause any problems at all.