RV antifreeze in my ponds?

Discussion in 'Water Features' started by xtreem3d, Jan 6, 2013.

1. xtreem3d

xtreem3d LawnSite Senior Member

Does anyone know if RV antifreeze would hurt the pumps in a couple pond.fountains I have? I prefer to keep them running year round, no fish or plants,
    Steve

2. tadpole

tadpole LawnSite Bronze Member

I would contact one of the pump.manufacturers. My concern would be the effect that the anti-freeze would have on the seals. I do know that it is poisonous to animals. You might want to take that into consideration also. Don't want to start killing the neighborhood birds and pets.

3. pineymountain

pineymountain LawnSite Member

it would kill anything in it and blind anything that drinks from it

4. starc

starc LawnSite Member

RV antifreeze is not poisonous. It is a plumbing antifreeze and I don't see why it wouldn't work just fine...

5. 20/20

20/20 LawnSite Member

I'm more curious why Xtreem3d would want to do this? For the most part RV anti freeze is not poison, but why dump more unneeded chemicals into the world, aren't there allready MORE then enough?

6. 20/20

20/20 LawnSite Member

Xtreem3d, how big are these fountains, running water won't freeze as long as there is enough volume. Do birds and other critters visit these fountains? If so you may want to becarefull you don't get accussed of trying to poison wildlife?

7. xtreem3d

xtreem3d LawnSite Senior Member

There are 3 2800 pumps in the fountain. Running water doesn't really freeze but what happens is the 3 fountains are plumbed into 3 basalt stone pillars that are about 40" tall each. The water freezes around the outside of them and they get a build up on one side then tip over from the weight of the ice.

8. Stillwater

Stillwater LawnSite Platinum Member

winterize the fountain in the winter..... or properly support the structure.... or add temporary additional support for the winter months.

If you are bent on not doing the above then you must know their is no such thing as a truly 100% non toxic anti freeze contrary to the above post. their is only a more safer type and oddly enough they are labeled non toxic. Anti freeze with a NFPA CODE rating of no more than 1 should be used.