RWF, Inc.

Discussion in 'Original Pictures Forum' started by tthomass, Aug 27, 2007.

1. tthomass

tthomass LawnSite Gold Member
    from N. VA

Our terminology is different. For patios, we call that flat work. For walls or vertical surfaces, we call that veneer.

Flat work, if wet, is set in a bed of mortar over top of a 5" concrete pad. Veneer is also over concrete and typically a block structure.

Portland + Masonry Sand + Water = Mortar

2. 2low4NH

2low4NH LawnSite Bronze Member
    from NH

careful with that wording. Mortar is light masonry cement+mortar/mason sand+water. Stone mud usually add portland to the mix. a portland sand mix is a "brown coat" bt thats coming out of the masonry side of things. veneer work is usually 6" or less thick and anchored to the wall. can be over wood,block,crete. some of the newer mixes they are ptting out for stone/veneer work are nice for people who have never mixed "mud" before so the correct ratios and strength are met.

3. tthomass

from N. VA

Or more technical, Portland Type I & II.

This is why plants have Latin names and common names. Latin so that the whole globe of people know what it is, common for whatever you care to call it.

Nepeta 'Catmint'
    Rudbeckia 'Black-eye Susan'
    Buxus 'Boxwood'
    Thuja 'Arborvitae'
    Quercus 'Oak'

4. 2low4NH

2low4NH LawnSite Bronze Member
    from NH

Good point sir good point.

5. White Gardens

White Gardens LawnSite Fanatic

What would you consider your mix then, type M, type S, type N etc....

6. tthomass

from N. VA

Still needs to be acid washed but here it is (excuse the camera phone). Patio is on a 90 and the circle a 45. We did the grading/cleanup and sod at about 1/2 way through the project vs at the end and worked out very well. This time of year with rain and freeze/thaw it can be a real mess so we took advantage of the nice weather while we could. Iron railings go on soon and we'll be working on a spring planting of perennials/shrubs/trees.

001.jpg

012.jpg

041.jpg

Last edited: Dec 6, 2010
  7. WGrnd21

WGrnd21 LawnSite Member
    from NC

I like how you tied the patio in with the house by using the brick around the circle.

8. tthomass

from N. VA

After dealing with a bunch of BS from manufacturers (Airflow) and suppliers, we decided to build/fab our own plow trucks. Perfect job for a rain day and better built too. We've yet to put the concrete in our shop and thankfully a neighbor let us borrow his shop with every tool known to man. Not finished yet but we're close.

For what it's worth......if you ever have the choice, go BOSS over Fisher. Fisher is way behind the ball and I do not like these plows vs my two BOSS. All of the spreaders are 4yd stainless Salt Dogg's.

025.jpg

028.jpg

029.jpg

035.jpg

9. DVS Hardscaper

DVS Hardscaper LawnSite Fanatic

The trucks look great. I can see makin dedicated plow trucks in places like Michigan or Maine, but this area isn't know for alotta snow / ice activity. I am however, curious as to why not go with flatbeds (not dump bodys) with the spreaders anchored down? This way the trucks can somehow be worked year round.

Oh! I would have done like the over the road tractors and painted the frames punkin orange while there were no bodies!

10. tthomass

from N. VA

One truck has 265k miles and the other 160k miles. We've gotten heavy in snow and there is a minimum guarantee per truck.....snow or not. We did a great job handling last years customers and were wanted back, and some.

Both trucks have CAT diesels and the 265k will remain a dedicated truck. The 160k will be fitted with a hoist (com'on DVS). This way it can play backup to the International moving equipment, dumpsters etc, as needed, from day to day or even run a job of it's own.........we'll see. Also, we'll probably be doing chemical applications for next winter. I'll have a tank mounted to a set of rails that I can hoist up and go treat. Then, I'll swap for a set of rails that the spreader is on and be ready for plowing.