1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

RWF, Inc.

Discussion in 'Original Pictures Forum' started by tthomass, Aug 27, 2007.

1. tthomass

tthomass LawnSite Gold Member
    from N. VA

If 8 fills the schedule and turn good net.......thats being selective and good.

Now, as I know you're probably working on, secure the same for next year and have a second crew (2-3 guys) doing other, smaller say up to $20,000ish, jobs for quick cash. The truck and equipment for them should be paid for in a couple months. Outfit them with a skid steer (go track since you've got wheels) and some other goodies and you shouldn't have a problem breaking even the first year. Fast forward to the second year.......looks green doesn't it?

2. tthomass

from N. VA

Thanks TWU.....how's Baltimore? How about bringing me some Oreo cheesecake from the Cheesecake Factory, oh yeah!

3. mrusk

mrusk LawnSite Gold Member

I am planning to stick with the larger jobs. I think i finally figured out cost effective advertising methods to reel these leads in. I just need to the adds more guys and some equipment to rap these things up quicker. These big jobs are just smaller jobs put together. I am planning to go to a 5-6 man crew with 2 formen. Almost every job i have done this year could handle the large number of guys.

Frankly, i do not have much interest in smaller stuff. I like to always challenge myself and try to accomplish stuff that seems so far out from anything i ever done before.

What i am doing though, is setting these big install customers up for smaller add on later. I just finshed a 40k install, were we will go back next year and throw in 12k more in plants.

4. STRINGALATION

STRINGALATION LawnSite Senior Member

that blue trucks a weird looking one, what is that stainless part?
    your work always looks good to me but hey i'm not CGLAND who can spot a 2" diff on a step lol

5. tthomass

from N. VA

Thanks Stringalation.....that is a large box to keep equip separate from my load.....tiller, wheel barrow, sod cutter etc.

Don't worry, you'll never see 2" slope difference.......if even 1/8". I'm anal.

6. Captains Landscape

Captains Landscape LawnSite Senior Member

Nice rig, interesting job sites. I would be ashamed to show my version of your "blue". We call it the "green monster":cry:

7. PlatinumLandCon

PlatinumLandCon LawnSite Bronze Member

Nice work. I love to see young guys doing so well. Being young myself, I get motivated seeing this kind of work being done. I want to be doing large jobs like this in a few years. Keep up the good work!

8. GreenMonster

GreenMonster LawnSite Silver Member
    from NH

Nice looking jobs.

You don't have to convince me about tracks. I don't know how anyone can say wheels are as efficient. Even without the slopes like we have around here, I'd hate to go back to wheels.

9. TWUllc

TWUllc LawnSite Senior Member

Todd, Chocolate Chip Cookie-Dough is where its at! BTW, I see some dirt on that truck. What's with that?? :laugh:

10. tthomass

from N. VA

hmmm, haven't had cookie dough

Yeah the truck is dirty.......in and out of the shop for two weeks + rain + dirt site = mess but thats what this weekend is for, cleaning.

Muscles.......want to grow? I suggest dropping the lawn care. More and more people are tied up with little crap from fussy customers they don't have time or money to put into constuction needs. They spend more dollars on mowers and grow with pennies, doesn't work so well that way. In my area anyway.......too much competition and cheapo's.

Green.......thanks! People punch numbers all the time with tracks and nag about the cost like they do fuel mileage on a work truck. Same with fuel, I don't pay it, my customer does. Tracks aren't so expensive when you're working and the other contractors are packing up to go back home now are they? Lets see, sit at home with $0 losing a day(s) production or work and make $........its a no brainer.

Rusk.......I would sitll encourage dabbling in smaller jobs. Larger jobs are job security and smaller jobs are often better money makers. Mix the two and you're good to go......its not what you gross but what you net.

Random: "Don't worry about the dollars, watch the pennies" as my grandpa told my Dad and he to me.