1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

RWF, Inc.

Discussion in 'Original Pictures Forum' started by tthomass, Aug 27, 2007.

1. cleancutccl

cleancutccl LawnSite Senior Member

Is the wall and fireplace being built on the slab or next to it? I'm not sure of the weather in va but I would pour some pilons under the area of the fireplace. Go down to frost line depth 36" so the slab it is on won't pitch with freeze thaw. Just a suggestion.
  2. DVS Hardscaper

DVS Hardscaper LawnSite Fanatic

This seasons (summer 2008) 'Architectural Stone & Landscape Design' magazine (which just came in the mail today) has a nice feature on FIREPLACES.

For those that are serious about such work, the work displayed in the magazine is just amazing! Google the magazine and contact them for a copy.
  3. tthomass

tthomass LawnSite Gold Member
    from N. VA

HOY 001.jpg

HOY 004.jpg

HOY 005.jpg
  4. DVS Hardscaper

Looking really nice so far!

How bout some how running conduit up the chimney (under the stone veneer), so you can mount some low voltage lights to light up the stone, and possibly illuminate the table area with a fixture with frosted lens??

Now, does your block / or do you have a footing going down to frost line? Sounds like a silly question, but from the pics, it kinda looks like it doesn't?
  5. Lawnworks

Lawnworks LawnSite Fanatic
    from usa

Did you sub out the block work? Where did you get your fireplace kit? How wide is the inside of the fireplace? It looks awesome... can't wait to see the finished product.
  6. neversatisfiedj

neversatisfiedj LawnSite Bronze Member

How are you going to drain the surface ? It looks like water will lay there at the wall.
  7. tthomass

tthomass LawnSite Gold Member
    from N. VA

There's recessed drain holes to carry the water out through the wall.

I did the block work.

Concrete is 4-5" and I spill over the edges for 8+ inches for extra strength / semi footer.

The way excavation worked out we came out at grade on the low end, concrete is as you see it. We will be grading out all around the patio as I have 30yds piled on site.

I got the fireplace kit locally, 42" in size (diagonally).

Under the deck is will be changing afer we finish with the addition of a ceiling under the deck and recessed lighting.

Lights go in the wall and in the steps. I'm using a little under 200w and installing a 600w transformer for future lighting to be put in later.....50w off the corner of the house to moon light the patio etc as well as lights for mature hardwoods behind the patio / back of property.
  8. joe the lawn guy

joe the lawn guy LawnSite Senior Member

wow you do great work !! i'm working my way up. it nice to see someone thats made it .
  9. mrusk

mrusk LawnSite Gold Member

No frost in North VA?
  10. DVS Hardscaper

Ok, Todd you stated "concrete is 4-5". So did you NOT place some sort of solid footing down at frost the line?