1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

RWF, Inc.

Discussion in 'Original Pictures Forum' started by tthomass, Aug 27, 2007.

1. DVS Hardscaper

DVS Hardscaper LawnSite Fanatic

I don't want to invade this thread, but there's been a small amount of chat about big trailers. I trust that if there's going to be a bunch of responses - that someone will be kind enough to start a new thread for this subject.

Check with you state's DOT laws about licensing requirements for trailers over 10,000#.

In MD and PA trailers factory rated, or registered (tagged), or weighing more than 10,000# - require a Class A Restricted license. The "restricted" means you do not have to have the air brake endorsement (unless you have air brakes). Most D.O.T. laws are the same state to state, this way someone isn't legally passing through one state and suddenly illegally passing through another state. Even if you're pulling the trailer with a mid size pick up truck.

Again, I don't want to start a new topic in RWF's thread. Just pointing out some food for thought when considering making such a purchase. A buddy of mine with a class B license just got nailed for pulling a 14,000# gooseneck with a pickup without a Class A.

2. Foz

Foz LawnSite Member

You can haul a trailer over 10,000# as long as your combined weight does NOT exceed 26,000#. What type of pickup was he using...gross weight??. Not actual weight, but the vehicle's max weight rating??
  3. DVS Hardscaper

DVS Hardscaper LawnSite Fanatic

Time to open a new thread with this topic!
  4. CertPro

CertPro LawnSite Member

In PA, you MUST have a cdl to pull any trailer over 10K. Whether it's with a p/u truck, 5 ton dump or your moped. Please note I capitalized must.
  5. tthomass

tthomass LawnSite Gold Member
    from N. VA

Guess nobody knows how to read your reply Andrew haha.

Heck, we just put Farm Use tags on down here and do whatever we want!
  6. Duffster

Duffster LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Midwest

Can you post a link to info proving this?

I know for a fact that you don't need a CDL solely on the fact that the trailer is over 10k

7. kreft

kreft LawnSite Bronze Member

looking awesome todd!
  8. zedosix

zedosix LawnSite Silver Member

over 10,000 lbs towing requires A licence in Ontario.
  9. kreft

kreft LawnSite Bronze Member

not in the states.
  10. tthomass

tthomass LawnSite Gold Member
    from N. VA

Some of what we've been up to and a project we did a few weeks ago.

Picture 001.jpg

Picture 011.jpg