RWF, Inc.

Discussion in 'Original Pictures Forum' started by tthomass, Aug 27, 2007.

1. tthomass

tthomass LawnSite Gold Member
    from N. VA

I don't have any pictures of the steps in progress. Set the one at the bottom first. Dig it in a little and get it level. After that we dig into the hillside so that the stone will set pretty level but still pitched. Each stone overlaps about 6" to further support. Other than that, they're just dug into the hillside............fast easy steps that don't require concrete, mortar, crushed stone etc. It probably took us a 1/2 day to build that with 3 guys.......try that with masonry or pavers. I was in the Bobcat getting stone from the street and the other two digging/leveling. The Bobcat does the work.

2. pitrack

pitrack LawnSite Bronze Member

Is it just my eyes or are those steps not quite level in that third picture?

3. tthomass

from N. VA

#5 & #6 are set differently. Why? I don't remember. It does annoy me.

4. pitrack

pitrack LawnSite Bronze Member

I was just curious man, nothing against you. I know how those natural stones are, they're a pain to get just right.

Great looking work though.

5. CertPro

CertPro LawnSite Member

I've seen your other work and this job does you no justice. I'm sure there were budget constraints and HO picked materials, but IMO the job looks a little.........bad. I don't like how you did your corners. They are creating a pretty large vertical seam.

6. tthomass

from N. VA

Large vertical seam? The face of the wall is veneered and then then end is capped. It's only 1" stone being used for veneer. A thicker stone can interlock the corners or purchase cut stone corners.

7. CertPro

CertPro LawnSite Member

Corners should have been staggered. Doesn't matter how thick the stone is.

8. tthomass

from N. VA

6 one way, 1/2 a dozen the other. Thicker stone, I certainly agree. With 1" stone I see it both ways. Both staggered and also a clean end cap. Both ways have cons. I would have used corners but they would have stood out like a sore thumb with this particular veneer pattern.

9. DVS Hardscaper

DVS Hardscaper LawnSite Fanatic

Hey Chris,

It's been a while since you've posted any pictures of your work. We'd love to see your masterpieces.

I didn't notice the corners, but I do agree, corners outta be staggered.

10. LBFmd

LBFmd LawnSite Member
    from MD

i find it funny certpro/chris comments on someone elses quality of work, when on one of his jobs from the other site he was asked why they had 1/2" joints on the solider course and his response was "ole well guys had it done by the time i got there". Funny how some people think they know it all and there work looks like crap.