Ryan aerator...Good deal? What to look for?

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by G.M.Landscaping, Sep 15, 2007.

1. G.M.Landscaping

G.M.Landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

I'm going to look at two ryan aerator's tomorrow for $400 for both of them. About 8 years old with 6HP honda motor. Plastic drum style roller.

One is ready to work, the other was bought for parts(blown motor).

I talked to him over the phone only, and he can't send pics to my email yet. I told him I want to be first in line because this seems to be a good deal. IS IT?

What should I look for on this machine for problems? How do you know when the tines need replaced?

I've used Ryans and bluebirds before so I know about the workout they give:weightlifter:

So any help appreciated

2. G.M.Landscaping

Anybody? before I look at it tommorow at 9:00am?

3. LindblomRJ

LindblomRJ LawnSite Silver Member

Ryan has been building aerators for a long time. It sounds like a decent deal to me.

4. Stillwater

Stillwater LawnSite Platinum Member

it is most likely to late but I will toss in my 2 cents,
    given what can be charged for lawn aerating any gas powered commercial aerator that works is worth 400, without question even if it looks like total crap. With the exception only being if parts are no longer available, the ryan line are good machines 400 for both and 1 works? jump on it, check the chain line drive for wear at the sprockets and bearings. look for flat spots or holes in the drum, also you might want to check the sprockets lash if you know how to do that, look at the chain tightener and be sure that works. 400 is short money so be forgiving on the condition if it works. look for recent welding rot rust. check oil run it full throttle and check air cleaner to be sure it is not smoking or wet with oil. you can make the 400 back in less than a full day. I would buy a new motor for the other one make it look good and sell it for 800 to a grand. also make sure all the linkedge is working. you can check the condition of the tines, look for bent or rounded over tines from aerating driveways and sidewalks check the depth of the cores it should be pulling plugs around 2 to 3.5 inches less than 2 inches think about replacing them they are not that expensive. I would get my butt over their and snag them before someone else does.

5. G.M.Landscaping

Not to late. Thanks for the info. I'm going to meet him at 11:30am with my trailer and $400 cash.

6. Stillwater

let me know how you made out, if it works 400 is a total kick ass deal

7. G.M.Landscaping

Well here they are. The one on the right has the blown motor.
    The left one works but I'm going to have to weld on a front hoop.
    IM002709 (Medium).JPG

IM002710 (Medium).JPG

IM002709 (Medium).JPG

IM002710 (Medium).JPG

8. Stillwater

Nice score! get a new motor for the other one and sell it for 1200

9. Stillwater

even better get more coreing accounts and hire a guy have 2 running.....

10. J&T Kiev

J&T Kiev LawnSite Senior Member
    from N.W In.

Good deal!!! Ryans are a long time waring out. Simple to work on, if the engine ever blows get a replacement B&S engine for 250$ and keep pulling plugs.