Ryan Aerator - Good or Bad???

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by SLC LLC, Apr 22, 2008.

1. SLC  LLC

SLC LLC LawnSite Senior Member

A gentleman would like to trade me something for my Brown Bed Edger. I have used my Bed Edger about three times in its life, and do not anticipate using it all the frequently either. We do a ton of aerations though, and this guy has an aerator with the same history. I offered a trade of the two pieces of equipment.

Does anyone know much about the Ryan aerators? Good or bad? Anything to look for? I have a Plugr and a Turfco right now.

2. naturescape

naturescape LawnSite Bronze Member

I'd pick the Ryan out of the three you list. I've considered the Classen split-tine, but I will go with the Ryan when it's time to buy.

3. LindblomRJ

LindblomRJ LawnSite Silver Member

Go with the Ryan. I honestly think that would be my first choice.

4. Mr. Force® Billy Goat Industries

Mr. Force® Billy Goat Industries LawnSite Senior Member

I'm biased but consider the Billy Goat AE401 series. No front drum, with the water weight above the tines to allow for the deepest plugs. It's an improved unit that was recently introduced. The rental market has been buying these new units because of their ruggedness and ease of use. Ask a dealer for a demo and let the product speak for itself.

Please let me know if there are any questions I can answer.

5. naturescape

I rented one of those last year. One of the worst experiences I've had. That thing will NOT climb any hill. Also, totally unwieldly to use. Sorry, just my opinion.

6. Mr. Force® Billy Goat Industries

This is a newly introduced unit with many improvements. We've had units out there for almost 8 years. I don't know what unit you used or what condition it was in. Climbing hills shouldn't be a problem units it's low on oil (automatic oil shut off) or the belt is worn out. Try one of the AE410 series and you may think differently.

7. naturescape

The one I rented was last Fall. I believe it was one of the newer models.

8. Mr. Force® Billy Goat Industries

The new 401 series was introduced about 2 months ago. The clutch bale is now in front of the upper handle. It follows the complete upper handle to allow for any hand positions and guards the bale from side impact damage. The engagement of the tines can be done with your hand or knee by pushing the lift handle down. To disengage the tines simply lift the upper handle and the lift handle cams the tines out and locks it. Tip the unit on the rear wheels spin it around to your next start position. Re-engage the tines by pushing the lift handle down with your hand or knee.

Some rental stores do not show how the unit operates. People who have not been shown how to use the unit try to use it the way competitive units and can find them difficult as our competitors. Once shown the ease, and time saving features are appreciated. We'll have a video on our website showing exactly that in about a month.

These features combines with the ruggedness and ease of accessibility for maintenance make this a great unit.

9. LindblomRJ

LindblomRJ LawnSite Silver Member

I was plenty happy with the plugs the Ryan was pulling out. It is pretty easy to operate too.

10. 2stroke

2stroke LawnSite Senior Member

i have a new Ryan this year. works very well. easy too handle.