Ryan aerator help?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Lawn Dog2001, Mar 10, 2004.

1. Lawn Dog2001

Lawn Dog2001 LawnSite Bronze Member

I am having a problem with my Ryan Lawnaire IV and was wondering if any of you guys had advice for me on how to fix it.

I have a 3HP Briggs engine on it. I think the the recoil starter clutch, which is directly under the recoil starter, is bad. You can hear the bearings jigling around in there when you spin it manually. What is happening is when the engine is running the clutch continues to spin the recoil and the starter rope continues to wrap around itself. When this happens it screams something awful.

Does this sound like the starter clutch to any of you? If so is this an easy problem to fix myself?

Also, where is the best site to order this part from? I need to get it here rather quickly as I have aerations scheduled. If anyone happens to know the part # that would be very helpful also, as I do not have the manual for this engine.

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

2. hole in one lco

hole in one lco LawnSite Bronze Member

Take the clutch off and see what falls out. If you need it now take the cover off pull start it and let the cord spin until you get the part.

3. hole in one lco

you should find what you are looking for here

4. hole in one lco

jackssmallengines.com

5. Lawn Dog2001

Thanks hole in one. I will check out the link.

I am also going to take your advice and just use the machine with the recoil cover off, once I start it. I cant afford to pass up aeration money do to down time. Plus, if it runs well with the starter off, I guess I will know for sure that the clutch is my problem.

Has anyone ever changed one of these? Is it difficult?

6. Lawn Dog2001

I dont make a habbit of bumping my threads. But I have to with this one. Bump,bump.

7. dougaustreim

dougaustreim LawnSite Senior Member

On Briggs, the starter clutch needs to be lubricated ocassionally. That is often what causes the sticking and squealing. It seems worse on those engines that sit unused for periods of time, like an aerator would. Take the starter housing off, and you will see the clutch that is threaded onto the crankshaft. There is a tiny hole in the center of the end of that clutch. Spray a small amount of lubricant into that hole, possibly WD-40. Should loosen things up. There is really very little that can go wrong inside the clutch, except to get dirty and stick.

Doug
    Austreim Landscaping

8. Lawn Dog2001

Thanks guys. I ordered a new starter clutch from Jackssmallengines today. I should have it in a few days. Now its just a matter of figuring out how to get the old one off.

dougausteim

I tried lubing it as you suggested with some PB blaster. Still didnt work. When you spin the shaft with your hand you can here something rolling around in there. It sounds like a bearing is just clanging around in there. Hopefully replacing it will solve my problem. The machine, and engine is in perfect condition besides this.