Ryan aerator tine selection help?

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by gtrack, Apr 11, 2008.

1. gtrack

gtrack LawnSite Member
    from UK

Hi,

I currently use the Ryan Lawnaire IV+ to Hollow Tine my customers lawns through the Autumn/winter months.

This year I wish to incorporate Solid Tine aeration in the summer and ideally would like to change the tines on the Ryans to suit....unfortunately I understand there are no Solid Tine options for the Ryan, only `open spoon` types, I have no experience of these, can someone please advise me on their suitability for solid tine aeration, one of the key factors is there needs to be no cores removed, does the open spoon remove a part core or does it slice similar to a blade type, i.e. no cores??

I really dont want to have to purchase seperate machinery just for Solid Tine AR in the summer.

Help much appreciated.

2. vegomatic40

vegomatic40 LawnSite Senior Member
    from 6

Solid tines not available for Ryan's or at least I've never seen them. The open spoon type tines remove a core and no it is not similar to slice type. Since solid tine type simply makes a temporary hole through compression a debate exists on its true benefits. Many say that it can even increase compaction with no direct improvement in soil tilth, air movement etc. Are the areas to be done sensitive to cores being left there until they dissolve?