Ryan Aerator

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by RLW, Oct 15, 2006.

1. RLW

RLW LawnSite Member

Has anyone used the Ryan aerators? How do they compare with the Bluebirds?:usflag:

2. 6'7 330

6'7 330 LawnSite Bronze Member

We have never owned or used a Bluebird, so I'm ignorant the any comparisons between it, and the Ryan,other then to assume the Bluebird is a chain and drum type machine. We do own a few Ryan LA IV & V's . The machines aerate at a high rate of speed,and mechanically hold up over many hours for years. Very durable.But the machines are a bear for employees to operate,after a long aeration day the workers walking behind the machine, are beat and tired to the bone.

3. SodKing

SodKing LawnSite Bronze Member

Frankly I couldn't imagine ever using a walk behind aerator again after getting one for the 3pt hitch on the tractor.

4. RLW

RLW LawnSite Member

Yeah, my back was sore and I was breathing pretty hard. I bought a Ryan and that thing moves plenty fast. I have a lawn tractor, how do the tow behind areators workout? the kind you can stack weight on.

5. 6'7 330

6'7 330 LawnSite Bronze Member

We have hundreds of stamp sized Chicago lawns, our tow behind 3-point aerators won't fit on the small turf areas.Out of necessity we are compelled to incorporate walk behind machine's into our operation.

6. SodKing

SodKing LawnSite Bronze Member

Yes I can see the limitations in those instances. My agerage lot is about 20,000'

7. turfcobob

turfcobob LawnSite Senior Member

I would suggest you do some research before you buy. You need the aerator to fit your operation and lawns. How do you transport it what size of lawns who will service it on and on. Most people do not do the research and are not happy but have to live with what they buy. Turfco makes a full line of Aerators from tractor type to ride behind and walk behind. Turfco.com but I would not tell you which is best till I know what your requirements are. Next check out who will take care of you. Do you need a dealer for service? or can you skip that step and buy direct. If you can do simple adjustments you may want to buy factory direct and get better equipment for the same money. Go to the shows check out the equipment and maybe even rent some of it before you buy. Aerators last for years make the right move the first time.