Ryan Aerator

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by GravelyGuy, Jul 5, 2009.

1. GravelyGuy

GravelyGuy LawnSite Silver Member
    from Indiana

2. GravelyGuy

from Indiana

So no comments...

Well, I snatched it up. It has had better days, but is very functional. Now I won't have to schedule all my jobs on one day and rent:dancing:

It has no stickers on it so I don't know the model or anything. If anyone has any info on it, please let me know.

3. foreplease

foreplease LawnSite Bronze Member

The craigslist posting has been removed. What did you get? I'd like to have a RA 24 myself. Is yours a walk behind with eight sets of tines on a camshaft? Or is it a roller type? Or possibly the ride-on GA-30? I have an older GA-60 pull beind with three cylinder engine but it is in need of some repair.

The GA-24s track a little too heavily on soft ground or short grass but pull great plugs. Put some pictures up please.

4. GravelyGuy

from Indiana

Here are a few pics. I cleaned and greased, but I don't know if I should mess with the oil in the gear box that connects directly to the engine. I don't think there is a way to check the fluid without draining it. Any info?

Aerator 001.jpg

Aerator 002.jpg

5. foreplease

foreplease LawnSite Bronze Member

Sorry, I am not familiar with that model. Hope it works well for you.

6. Mr. Force® Billy Goat Industries

Mr. Force® Billy Goat Industries LawnSite Senior Member

Older style Ryan Lawnaire IV. That series has been out there for quite a while and should serve you well. I wouldn't worry about the oil in the gearbox. Aerators don't really challenge 6:1 gear reductions.

7. GravelyGuy

from Indiana

Thanks for the info. It is a simple design, there doesn't seem to be much that could go wrong on it. My fingers are crossed that it will hold up this fall.

8. DiyDave

DiyDave LawnSite Bronze Member

I have had one for years, unless its leaking, where can gear oil go? As long as you can see some in the fill/breather, you're OK. Check your drive chain and sprockets for wear, and check to see that the drum hasn't split from freezing, and you're good to go.:drinkup:

9. jbturf

jbturf LawnSite Bronze Member

there is usually a check plug on the front side of the gear reduction unit,
    be sure to level the machine 1st
    g/l

10. weicm3

weicm3 LawnSite Member

how much did you pay for it? (if you don't mind)