1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

RYAN aerators

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by EROSS17, Apr 7, 2001.

1. John Allin

John Allin LawnSite Bronze Member

Have a Lawnaire 4 and a Lawnaire 28. Only problem is that we don't get to use them enough. Mechanically they are fine. No real problems.

2. dodge2003

dodge2003 LawnSite Member
    from Ct

Does anyone know the oil type and how far to fill the gear box?

Thank you

3. Tery TJ

Tery TJ LawnSite Member

I know this may be old but I also would like to know

4. locallawncare.ca

locallawncare.ca LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ontario

Same as engine oil, fill it until its at the top of the bolt hole, I need to do mine too. I have a manual , but I'm sure you can find one online and it says it in there, hope that helps.

5. Tery TJ

Tery TJ LawnSite Member

I have a Ryan 4 aerator.
    So far it,s been a great machine,Little
    maintenance ,The hardest part is the turns.

6. locallawncare.ca

from Ontario

YUP, built like a tank, imo, especially considering the abuse they take from aerating, no complaints.

7. Exact Rototilling

Exact Rototilling LawnSite Fanatic

I've been wanting to compare the Ryan 28 reciprocating side by side with my Plugr 850's in a shootout comparison.

I have never seen one in my area. Just might have to buy one. Pretty spendy new.
    Posted via Mobile Device

8. locallawncare.ca

from Ontario

I looked at the 28 too, but it seems very expensive and looks like it vibrates like crazy when using it, but it pulls more plugs per sq. ft. and can make a hairpin turn. Im thinking about an XT5, I have a Ryan IV and have no complaints, other than its a workout but I'm sure the XT5 is too. I worry about damaging a Ryan 28 when you hit hard earth or roots or even a water shutoff thats hidden in the lawn. I saw one at the expo and the rep said he used it on his lawn and went onto the driveway by accident and it punched holes in the blacktop! thats some serious power.

9. Exact Rototilling

Exact Rototilling LawnSite Fanatic

I will probably end up with a Ryan 28 some day. I have heard they are stoutly built.

My PlugrĀ® 850 #1 has been beat to death in the rocky soil here. The yellow unit cover has stress cracks at many of the edges and radius areas and stop drilling them hasn't worked. The actual frame is holding up fine. :)
    Posted via Mobile Device