RYAN LA 28 vs. ROCK SOLID PULLR????

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by GREENITUP, Oct 21, 2004.

1. GREENITUP

GREENITUP LawnSite Member

I'm will be getting back into the business next year and will be in the market for a new (or new to me / slightly used) aerator. I ran Ryan la-28's with Honda's, b&s's, Kawasaki engines for 3 brutal years. They all kicked my butt but did a superior job at pulling the cores. The Honda engine was most reliable, faster than the b & s, and a little slower than the newer Kawasaki. I have no experience with the rock solid pullr's but after doing a few searches, read that many here like the machine. Anyone have experience with both or an opinion either way as to which would be the better purchase? I have questions about plug depth with the rock solid's. Thanks for the input.

2. The Good Earth

The Good Earth LawnSite Member

The Rock Solid machine is a quality machine. It does, however, leave the plugs a little shallow. For the money you are going to spend on a new machine I would look at the split drive offered by Lesco or Turfco. I tried one out a few weeks ago and it sold me. They are both pretty much the same machine. They are no harder to operate than a 36" walk behind. But the difference is in the plug pulled. It is night and day. I was sold on the Plug'r but that Lesco machine beat it hands down.

Hope this helps

3. GREENITUP

TGE - What are we looking at cost-wise? Is the plugr in the same ballpark as the split drives you mentioned? They all look like lighter weight machines than the Ryan la-28's and have to be easier on the body. But am I wrong in thinking the added weight helps with the plug depth?

4. The Good Earth

The Good Earth LawnSite Member

With the specials Lesco are running you are probably looking at around a $300 savings going with the Lesco machine. Ballpark is around $2600.

I think the added weight is what beats the Rock Solid machine. The Lesco machine is at least twice the weight, maybe even 3 times the weight. But it is really no harder on the body to operate.

5. Hamons

Hamons LawnSite Senior Member

Ryan 28 vs the Plugr.

I own the PL800 and it is a great amchine. If price was equal -- I think the LA28 is abette machine. However, it is more complex with its seperate drive system and such.

I would buy another plugr any day. My expereince doing hundreds of yards witht he pl800 is that although the cores look shorter when pulled and laying on the ground -- the holes are deeper. The way the tine is designed -- it does not hold the dirt together in a solid plug like the drum type aerators. Instead, the plugs tend to fall apart. Look on the ground after using the plugr and you find all the loose pulled up dirt.

6. GREENITUP

HAMONS -Thanks for the input. Do you find that the plugr doesn't wear you out as bad as other machines? We used to aerate in teams of two -alternating who plugs and who seeds, ferts, and blows sidewalks. Even doing that - about 60000-70000 s/f was our limit for a day.... but that includes drive time for around 7-9 stops. What is a good day for a rock solid machine? And do you think it's worth the extra $$$ for the 800 machine as opposed to the 600?

7. Hamons

Hamons LawnSite Senior Member

The Plugr really is not that much more tiring then walking behind a mower. Most of my yards are around 8k avg.

I've done 12 in a day and still played softball that night without a problem. I think the same would be true witht he la28 though -- I have very limited expereince with it. only demoed a few times.

The Plugr is slower speed then the the drum type but because it is so much easier to maneuver -- you tend to get done faster. 8,000 sq foot yard prob 45 min average from pull up to drive off. 1 man. just plugging.

I think the 800 is definitely worth the money -- it is slightly faster, and it prepares a much better seed bed if doing any kind of seeding. Never have to do doubles when using the PL800