RYAN Lawnair 28 vs. Plugr 850HD

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by Exact Rototilling, Jan 13, 2008.

1. Exact Rototilling

Exact Rototilling LawnSite Fanatic

$5,595.00 with shipping for the Ryan 28?

-or-

$4,870 with tax for the Plugr 850HD?

I'm currently leaning towards the Plugr 850HD :rolleyes:

Thanks for your input! :waving:

2. Exact Rototilling

Bump

Any input much appreciated. :waving:

3. grass disaster

grass disaster LawnSite Silver Member

they are both too much $ in my opinion.

it would take me too long to make a profit. at least 10k in sales i would figure.

4. LawnTamer

LawnTamer LawnSite Gold Member

I got a quote for $4,100 for a Plugr 850HD yesterday, that was before tax. I own a plugr, and was eager to try the hydro, it would make aerating a lot easier with the stepsaver. The one I tried had a step saver, I was able to maneuver it all over, no problem, even backed into corners, just for fun. I was very impressed.

5. Exact Rototilling

Spendy yes and that's what makes me nervous about it to some degree.

I did find a used Plugr 800 on craiglist with less than 50 hours for $1700 but it was in New York state and I'm in Idaho :cry:

If I only offered it to my mowing clients it would be a huge loss. I plan on marketing it heavily as a stand alone niche service.

6. Exact Rototilling

$4100 for a Honda powered 850HD is a great price . . . or did it have the Briggs? Did it feel underpowered pulling the sulky?

Which Plugr do you own? 400, 600 or 800? Which engine? If it's the 400 do you find it heavy enough to do it's job? I did consider getting the smaller unit however I'm planning on doing 5 to 10 aerations per week and many yards are well over 1/4 acre here.

7. LawnTamer

I own a pl 600, it is 8 yrs old. It came with the old Briggs 5HP flat-head, I put an Intek 5.5 on it 2 yrs ago and have been very pleased. I thought the Briggs engine was fine on the 850HD, the Honda was $300 more! For $300 you could almost buy a new Honda when the Briggs died. And I must say, I have been very pleased with my 5.5 Intek, starts first pull every time, good power, smooth and I can hear my phone ring while aerating.

If your lawns are mostly under 1/4 acre, you could get by without the hydro, I wouldn't even get the hydro unless you are planning to use a step saver.

8. LawnTamer

One other thing, if you have rocky soil, plan on replacing the aerator tines regularly. On the PL600, I replace mine about every 50-60 lawns. Occasionally you can find the tines for $9 ea.

I bought 4 PL600s in 2000, Rock Solid, (the old owner of the brand) was selling off some factory direct, I bought 4 of them for $1,600 ea. I sold 2, then a little later one more, all four are still in service.

BTW, did you notice that Ron Paul was beating Guliani and Thompson in Michigan, despite his exclusion from debates:laugh::laugh: I guess they are going to have to include Dr Paul, or exclude Rudy and Fred. :laugh::laugh:

9. Exact Rototilling

LawnTamer,

Honestly I've never seen a single presidential debate all the way through ;) . . . but yes whenever Ron Paul is excluded form a debate, Fox news etc. the grass roots support goes wild. Ends up on Jay Leno because of it. :laugh: :clapping:

If you don't mind me asking how much did you pay from the manufacturer for each of your Plugr 600's? I won't quote you. :)

Anyhow I pulled my dealer quote for the 850Hd and it's $4100 for the Brigs and $4375 for the Honda

800 is $3085 for the Honda

10. Exact Rototilling

:usflag:Purchase time for one of these is inside of 8 weeks. Please chime in if you have experience with these units. Good, bad or ugly?

Even if you hate Ron Paul your input appreciated! :laugh:

RYAN Lawnair 28 vs. Plugr 850HD
    *trucewhiteflag*
    *newusflag*

ryan28.jpg

850hd.jpg

step850.jpg