Ryan Lawnaire 28 Aerators

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by tiedeman, Apr 16, 2003.

1. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

Does any one own any Ryan products and especially their aerators? Was going to get a new aerator today, but the dealer was all out. Next shipment should be coming in soon, but I was just wondering what they are like.

2. MWHC

MWHC LawnSite Member
    from Wyoming

We have both the Lawnaire 28 and the Lawnaire V. Both are awesome machines. The 28 does a better job in a wider range of conditions but wont fit through small gates. IMO Ryan puts out a real nice product.

3. tiedeman

from earth

what is the width of the 28? I was also looking at the IV & V online today

4. tiedeman

from earth

I mean width of the total machine..not the actually cores (spikes) themself

5. Mark P

Mark P LawnSite Senior Member

:) Ive leased them and they do a very good job no complaints here.............Marks Mowing Service

6. CO.d 502nd

CO.d 502nd Banned

We had both the lawnaire 1V and the la 28 .The lawnaire 28 is a pretty good machine and is less tiresome then the lawnaire 4

7. GarPA

GarPA LawnSite Silver Member
    from PA

Tiedeman...I own the LA 28. Pulls the largest cores of any machine I have ever used. Also works better in hard soil since it is a cam action and does not just bounce along the surface. My customers say they have never had better aeration.It is a little slower (not allot) than the other machines. But, asmentioned above it does not beat you up like the others.( critical factor as aeration is tough work) Being that it works so hard you must keep it serviced...particularly, lubed. Make sure you spray chain lube on the chain drives every time you use. I bought mine used 2 years ago for $2000. I think a new one is around $5000. Not cheap obviously. If I were to buy a new one I would look at the Plugr only because Hoss and others here raved about themachine....I would test each one on dpeth of core and fatigue factor to operator. Email me if you want any more info/my pricing etc...dont remember where you are located and it seems aeration prices are all over the map. With this machine my lowest price per 1000ft is $14..thats the low end of the pricing and yet compettive in my area. Oh and its not the best machine on slopes/hills because it is very heavy and somewhat top heavy...so I just pass on the homes with steep slopes.

8. fox

fox LawnSite Member
    from MN

hafve never used a better walk-behind aerator than the ryan models. always starts, plugs great, spikes last a long time. owned mine for 5 years, still going strong.

9. Buba

Buba LawnSite Member
    from PA

I've tried them all Plugr, ryan, bluebird, claussen,turfco, toro and more. Nothing compares to the ryan LA 28. They are alot of money, but makes alot of profit. Good advice on oiling the chain. Much more productive than the others. Better built as well. My dealer told me that ryan invented the aerator, so it figures why it works the best. Low center of gravity holds a hill pretty well. I started with the La 4 and worked my way up to the 28. Most dealers in my area only sell the ryan. Hope that this helps.

10. PR Fect

PR Fect LawnSite Bronze Member

Looking to by a LA 28 new 4k. Found this old thread. What about the cores and the next time you mow? Do they raise hell with the mower blades?