Ryan Lawnaire 4

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Green Acres, Oct 25, 2000.

1. Green Acres

Green Acres LawnSite Senior Member

I have a chance to get a Ryan Lawnaire 4 aerator for about $400. It's a 2 years old and has been part of a rental fleet. It appears to be in good shape the paint is a little faded proably from sitting outside not for sure though. I was wondering what you guys thought about this price? Good or Bad. Also is there anything machanical problems I should look for? I would like to have one but hate buying equipment going into winter since it will be sitting for a few months. Thanks for you opinion!!

2. Barkleymut

Barkleymut LawnSite Bronze Member

Great price BUT, rental machines are abused by those who don't even know how to operate them. See if the tines are in good condition since it would cost a few bucks to replace them all. Other than that the engine and chain are the only real wear items on an aerator. Ryan makes quality machines and if this one is in good shape I'd buy for $400.

3. ant

ant LawnSite Silver Member

sounds good,how much aeration do you do?
    if you do a LOT it might be best to pick up a "easy to handle mechine" like one that has a split reel.

if you are not useing it much and the motor is good,plastic drum is not worped it sounds good.
    anthony

4. jaclawn

jaclawn LawnSite Senior Member

Sounds like a very good price. That machine is nearly $2K new. You could replace the engine, chains, sprocket, tines, and some of the other wear parts, and still be ahead of the game.