Ryan Lawnaire 5

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Jimbo, Sep 17, 2003.

1. Jimbo

Jimbo LawnSite Bronze Member

I am looking for a good walk-behind aerator and was wondering if anyone has feedback on the Lawnaire 5. How well does it pull a plug? Any pricing info?

I am looking at one with a 4HP Honda engine and a 26.5" width for $2700.00

Thanks
    Jimbo

2. GLAN

GLAN Banned

We have 2 IV's

Very nice machine.

3. SUGAR_CUT_MARK

SUGAR_CUT_MARK LawnSite Member

check out the lesco one. i'm not sure of the model # but it's pretty huge, and has a split drive!

4. turfsolutions

turfsolutions LawnSite Senior Member

We have been using Ryan aerators for the last 7 years. Both the IV (narrow) and V (Wide) models. I prefer the wider Ryan in 8 out of 10 situations. The most expensive Ryan model (not sure the name of) which has the funky looking handle bars, we have not used. However, I talked to a Lawn Doctor guy the other day who owns one and he and his guys hate it. If it hits a root it jerks hard upward, putting a lot of strain on the hands and wrists. They prefer the IV and V models as well. As for the split drives, be careful. The split drives only make it "easier" on large, wide open lawns. The added weight actually makes it much more difficult on the smaller lawns. We used Classen split drives when they first came out and hated them. They weigh 70 pounds more than the Ryans and they kicked our butts. Nobody liked them.

5. walker-talker

walker-talker LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Midwest

I would not make a decision until you have looked serious at the Plugr by Rock Solid. Send off for the free video tape and literature. They might be just slightly more, but I think they are 30" wide, larger engine and possibly easier to operate. I do not own one, but test drove one and loved it. I cannot say that I have operated a Ryan. I would at least take a look at them before you made a decision.

Good luck
    MATT

6. SUGAR_CUT_MARK

Hmm interesting. i have used the Ryan Lawn Aire IV, which i thought was ok. it kicked my A%$, especially around turns. i would have to raise it on the wheels around every turn.

On the other hand, the Classen split drive was a bit heavier, but it had a good 4 horse Honda motor, and when u wanted to turn it was alot easier. The classen split drive was faster too. Just my $.02. I/m not sure of teh Classen model, but it was red.....

7. SUGAR_CUT_MARK

8. walker-talker

walker-talker LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Midwest

The Plugr was similar to running a 21" mower, but with left and right braking....like a gear drive.

MATT

9. Craig Turf Management

Craig Turf Management LawnSite Senior Member

I've had the same Ryan LawnAire V since 1998! It's a work-horse. It starts on the second pull every time, and all I have done to it is replace the chains, belt and tensioning sprocket. I keep grease in every bearing without fail, and change the oil once per year. I've got the Briggs engine. The thing I like the most, is the fact that I can put a guy to work with it and he can't tear it up.
    Bill Craig

10. jsr2741

jsr2741 LawnSite Senior Member

I just took delivery of a claussen split drive. Lesco copied this machine in every way.

The claussen was $2900 out the door, lesco wanted $3099 and thats without tax.