Ryan LawnAire IV Chain Problem

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by LawnSharks, Oct 26, 2007.

1. LawnSharks

LawnSharks LawnSite Senior Member

On one of our Ryan IV's, we are having a pain in the ars problem as the chain is jumping off after about 7-10 minutes of operation. My question is: how much slack should be in the chain? The idler sprocket is moved as far forward as possible and still there is about 3/4 to and inch of play. The other units have about the same amount of play but no problems.
    'Anyone ever experienced this? I could take a link out but it seems it would be way too tight. Would replacing the chain help???? I'm at my wits end.
    Help needed as rain is about to end I need this unit in the field.

2. ericg

ericg LawnSite Silver Member

We had a similiar issue with our LawnAire unit. As it turns out, the needle brearings supporting the drum that the tines fit into were bad. It made the chain too tight and then too loose. Our fix was to replace the drum bearings and sleeves which brought the machine back to normal.

3. LawnSharks

Thanks Eric,
    I can see where that might cause the problem. I'm going to the shop now to check it out.
    Again, thanks.

4. pugs

pugs LawnSite Gold Member

Is everything in line? You mention the idler being at its limit. There are usually 2 idlers on them and both can be moved. Check all the sprockets and make sure they arent loose on the hubs or damaged in some way.

Not sure how long a regular chain would last. If you replace it I suggest getting the one from a ryan dealer as I think the chain is stainless if you get it from Ryan.

5. ericg

ericg LawnSite Silver Member

I hope I did this right. I attached the LawnAire parts manual. You will be able to see the bearings/sleeves that I was talking about.

Attached Files:

6. LawnSharks

Thanks Eric.
    I fought this thing all day on Saturday and finally just put it back on the trailer. Again, thanks, I think you are exactly dead-on.