Ryan Mataway Overseeder Question

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by macfisto, Sep 2, 2006.

1. macfisto

macfisto LawnSite Member

Hello,

Today I rented a Ryan Matway Overseeder with the intention of overseeding my lawn. I am having quite a bit of trouble understanding the instructions for setting the feed control cam for my type of seed (TTTF). Does anyone who has experience with this machine know what setting I should have this on for Confederate TTTF? Also, what setting should I use if I wish to make two 45-degree angle passes over my lawn (I would assume half of whatever the normal setting is)? I would GREATLY appreciate any help.

Thanks!

2. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

It would be 1/2 of the normal setting if you are making 2 passes. Isn't there a chart on the machine that has any grass seed types and settings? There was a picture of one on ebay not long ago that had a great pic of their chart. I'm sure one of the guys that own one here will chime in and help.

3. TURF DOCTOR

TURF DOCTOR LawnSite Silver Member

He is right half the normal setting man you will dump 50# in now time,with fescue it's like setting 8 i go with 4 or 5.

4. 6'7 330

6'7 330 LawnSite Bronze Member

Our Ryan's have a basic seed rate setting for different grass types, that is on the inside of the seed hopper lid. The chart does give you a basic idea what the machines setting should be for various grass types.

5. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Yeah,...it kind of had me wondering. I was thinking maybe since it was a rental, that perhaps it got torn off or something. On my Lesco, it is right on the inside of the seed lid. Well, I hope this guy gets it dialed in! :)

6. macfisto

macfisto LawnSite Member

Thanks everyone. I was planning on dropping about 9 lbs. per 1000 square feet (4.5 lbs./1000 sq ft each pass). I am overseeding 5000 square feet and re-seeding over some dead Bermuda on 3000 sqaure feet. I have 75 lbs. of Confederate TTTF for the job. Turf Doctor, are you saying that I should set it at 4 or 5 per pass or 2.5 - 4 per pass? Also, the chart on the inside of the hopper mentions a speed of 2.5 mph for these seeding rates. Is this the slow (turtle) or fast (rabbit) speed? I appreciate all the help!

7. TURF DOCTOR

TURF DOCTOR LawnSite Silver Member

We set it at a slow feed rate and run it as hard as it will slice the ground,the ground will do best if it is wet, dry ground you can not break i would water it some to till the ground,i would try setting no less than three you should get the hang of it.