1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

ryan or billy goat aeratior?

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by smarino21, Oct 23, 2006.

1. smarino21

smarino21 LawnSite Senior Member

I was lookin at an aerator and i didnt know ryan or billy goat? and engins they got ryan with 4 horse honda or 3.5 brigs then billy goat with the 4hrs honda 5.5 brigs or 5.5 honda
  2. turfcobob

turfcobob LawnSite Senior Member

I suggest you look around. there are better machines that will last longer out there. Unless you have an attachment to the dealer you can even buy on line see Turfco.com they sell direct. How much do you know about aerators? Are you new too it as a service. If you answer yest to this I suggest you get started by renting and buy next year. This way you can get to know more about the service and equipment.

31 yrs in the Biz
  3. Lugnut

Lugnut LawnSite Senior Member

Nothing against Billy Goat but I was not even aware that they made aerators. Every aeator I've ever seen has been Ryan, Toro, or Deere. For smaller areators I would definitely say go with Ryan, I've worked at golf courses that have ryan aerators 20 years old that still run great. Ryan is owned by Moffit, which also owns Bobcat, Jacobsen, and Cushman.
  4. noseha

noseha LawnSite Senior Member
    from MI

5. smarino21

smarino21 LawnSite Senior Member

i know i have done it for 2 yrs and its time to buy i just dont know which one is best and those 2 are the most popular around me and dealers service those i am not gonna buy a online item then it breaks and im screwed?
  6. turfcobob

Smarino: I have been around Aerators for 31 years. Worked for Ryan for 18 and Turfco now for 13. There have been more improvements in aerators the past 5 years than the previous 25. Ryan has been sold again and is not owned by Moffit. Moffit is a dealer. Ryan was owned by Textron and has been sold to Shiller-Phiffer ( Little Wonder) Before that it was owned by Ransomes and before that Cushman-OMC Lincoln. The ryan design was changed dramatically by Ransomes and later Textron and both changes were not for the better. They went to a cheaper frame and weaker drive. Frames bend and crack which puts the drive out of alignment. The old Ryans had a folded side frame that was hell for stout but that design is gone. You owe it to yourself to look around. I advise you to go to the Green Industry Expo in Columbus Ohio next week and see them all and talk to the Mfgs.

Just go to this site and check it out.

http://www.gieonline.com/Trade Show Postcard.pdf
  7. lawn king

lawn king LawnSite Silver Member

Turfcobob, do you remember the ryan spikaer built in the mid 70's?
  8. ajmctree

ajmctree LawnSite Member

We have run the Ryan lawnair iv for the last five years with no problems. Even with the briggs motor starts every time with no hassle. up to this point would have no problem recommending them to anyone.

come to think of it we had the chain break once, took 10 minutes to fix and back at it.
  9. turfcobob

Yes I remeber the spikeaire discontinued around 1977 if memory is correct. Still some around mostly on golf courses. It was great for greens and fine turf but never made the survival list when riding equipment came along. now they just put spiking reels on riding mowers.

Ajmctree, sounds like you have one of the old designs being 5 yrs or more old. It was actually designed by Ryan when it was in Lincoln, Ne. Not so with todays models of Ryan as the Ryan name has been sold twice in recent years and redesigned. The name may be the same as in old but the equipment is not. So when you recommend something you may want to clarify what years you are telling them about. You may be telling someone to buy something you have nevers seen or run.
  10. ajmctree

ajmctree LawnSite Member

Would you say the older stuff is of better or worse in quality and design? I must admitt that i do not keep track of what and where a company brand has been sold or redistrubuted(?) so if i gave a misinterperatation.. i,m bad.
    But the two machines that we do have have worked very well. The only difference between the two that is notable is in the throttle. .One is hair straight back when depressed and the other one actually has a throttle lever which allows a certain amount of control.