1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Ryan or Bluebird Aerator

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by TheLawnBarber, Oct 1, 2006.

1. TheLawnBarber

TheLawnBarber LawnSite Senior Member

This fall season I have received enough aeration jobs that I want to purchase my own aerator this spring. I've rented a Ryan from a local Roots Rents and I like the way it handles. The dealer I use the most sells Bluebird equipment and I just want to know if you prefer one over the other. Thanks.
  2. upidstay

upidstay LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CT

Ryan, definitely
  3. sildoc

sildoc LawnSite Silver Member

I like the ryan better than bluebird. I would however look at Pluggr also. I can do more turf with the pluggr than either of the drum aerators. Not that it is faster, it just does not wear me out like the drum style.
  4. turfcobob

turfcobob LawnSite Senior Member

Go look at the Turfco units at Turfco.com Direct units, parts and service. They will outlast a Ryan or Bluebird with less care. They even make some you can hook a sulky too and ride on big lawns.

5. jameson

jameson LawnSite Fanatic
    from PNW

We own 2 Bluebird 530's right now with the Hondas (5.5hp). Very little maintenance issues on the machines through the years -they are 6/7 yrs old.

But - there is always a but - there is lots of operator fatigue using them.

I have rented the Ryan Lawnaire 28 - nice machine - except you can easily get stuck on an anthill (bad on hills) and bounce around for hours.

If I were in the market for a new aerator I would look into a Plugr (they make a hydro one) or any of the split-drum models offered by manufacturers to ease turning and lessen fatigue.
  6. TheLawnBarber

TheLawnBarber LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks for the imformative replys guys, keep them comming.
  7. KS_Grasscutter

KS_Grasscutter LawnSite Gold Member

Have had (VERY limited) experience with both Ryan and Bluebird, about 5 lawns a piece. It was my Bluebird 424, and a friends OLD (early 90s) Ryan. I am not sure the Bluebird is set up right though, but from what i can tell, the Ryan pulls a much deeper plug. Again, though, i think it COULD have the wrong tines on it. I am gonna try and put some longer and bigger tines on it this next summer, and see if that helps it. If not, I will be selling it to get a Ryan or Pluggr (yea, right, like i could afford a pluggr, :laugh: :laugh: ).
  8. sildoc

sildoc LawnSite Silver Member

What you talking about, I paid 1300 for my PL400B. I love it. I am really thinking about getting the new hydro model though. I was looking at the other ones and they were right at 16-19 hundred bucks. You need to look for demo units. Mine had less than 2 hrs on it.
  9. KS_Grasscutter

KS_Grasscutter LawnSite Gold Member

WOW... i honestly thought they were WAY more then that...
  10. DoetschOutdoor

DoetschOutdoor LawnSite Bronze Member
    from S. IL

I too thought that they were alot more than 16-19. Anybody used one of these bad boys with the cart to ride on? I saw one at the dealer right after I rented the bluebird a few weeks ago and it ticked me off to see that they have an aerator with a sulky now...