RYAN28 Aerator used..$2000..any attachments for 52" Z that really pull plugs

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by GarPA, Feb 28, 2002.

1. GarPA

GarPA LawnSite Silver Member
    from PA

Yes I REALLY did a search so I don't get pulled over by the Search Police here...have a lead on a RYAN 28...$2000. 5 yrs old, well cared for... always rented a BlueBird...back breakers if used all day..never used a Ryan..with the drought I have a number of people wanting this done..they understand its one of the best things to do this year. Some of you have said this work doesn't pay well...well a customer showed me 3 estimates he got for 15,000ft..all betewen 250 and $300..good money obviously...so...as some of you say "snooze and lose" if you see a good buy...What do you think?Is there is an attachment I can hook on to the 52"lzrhp??...just poking holes doesn't cut the mustard as some of these attachments look likethey'll do..am I missing a product that might let me sit and sip instead of grab and grunt? thanks much...

2. Ground Master

Ground Master LawnSite Senior Member

Sounds like a good deal for that ryan. I had demoed (sp?) one years ago and was impressed.....I need to bite the bullet and buy one.

Currently we use 2 turfco's..........almost exact copies of ryan4's.

20 yards in an 8 hour day is no problem......we usually pull in 800 or so............aerating can be very profittable, but hard on the body. I usually set up just 2 days a week to aerate during the spring so our arms can recuperate.

3. walker-talker

walker-talker LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Midwest

I had also considered the Ryan 28, I think they sell new for about $4500. Being 5yrs old does not tell much about the shape or hours on the machine, but if it has been well cared for, might not be a bad deal. I would strongly suggest an aerator aboard. They are great money makers. I have a walk behind Kees and it gives you a workout, but for $80 for 30 minutes.....who cares! I will be looking for a tow behind in the fall. You can get a new tow behind for less than $2000, an effective one. Good luck!

MATT

4. GarPA

from PA

Matt..

does the attachment you're referring to really pull good sized plugs ..it just seems to me that they don't have the weight/torgue like the backbreakers have ?? I hear the Ryan will pull no matter how hard the gorund...and lord knows here in the Northeast the gound has been hard for about a year..and might stay that way

5. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

If it's in decent shape, buy it...new they're around $4800 or so.

6. walker-talker

walker-talker LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Midwest

I use to think that the back breakers were the only way to pull a plug, but others will tell you that a tow behind can do even better......and quicker. Use the back breaker to get where the pull behind won't. I was looking at the Ryan pull behinds and others will say that you dont have to spend that much money to get a quality pull behind. Do some more research and you will see what others have to say about the pull behinds.

MATT

7. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

Good point, Matt. I have a Bluebird pull behind and I love it. I only use the WB kind where the tow can't get to. And it pulls a real nice plug.

8. GarPA

from PA

I just demo'd it...guy who had it is known for taking exceptional care of his equipment..in fact hs used to do my property..all he does is fert/turf renovation...very successful here in this area...this thing is sooo EZ to pull up and drop down the tines...its nowhere near the grunt work that the Bluebird is..those things kill the forearms..at least on this 40 something old fart..will put new tines on..cost for them is about $50...oh well I think I'll buy it...thanks again guys..

9. We got our ryan 28 in 1997 for i believe 3800$ an its still chugging along real well
    It has made a nice chuck of change for us and the water drum ryan has to .
    If its in good shape buy it the new ones are 4500$ around here.

10. ohiolawnguy

ohiolawnguy LawnSite Senior Member

just a sidenote on the ryan 28 aerator. it will plug in any condition. i have seen it plug large tree roots, and once, part of an asphalt driveway. worker using it didnt stop until he was in the driveway and it put holes in the asphalt.

if you have compacted, harsh, soil conditions,(or clay, or hardpan) this is a great machine to use.