Ryco Engineering Transformers

Discussion in 'Landscape Lighting' started by David Gretzmier, Jun 22, 2007.

1. David Gretzmier

David Gretzmier LawnSite Gold Member

The thing is, I threw out a few ( 4, 5? ) nightscaping trans before I switched to FX, and I've sent three of those back for warranty work, on a grand total of what , maybe 50 installs ( combined FX and Nightscaping ) in 7 years? and these are supposed to be good trans. I run at about 80, 90 % max of rated load, and these ( FX and Nightscaping ) things are labeled, tested at 110% load when new.

So I think I have about 70 transformers out there and I know of 7 or 8 failures or a rate of about 10% in 7 years. I figure some of you guys must have multiple hundreds if not thousands of trans out there, what is your failure rate? maybe this is a better time for another thread, but this is the reason for my sniffing around for a different trans.

I worked on my fence today and forgot to test the units, It's on my list of things to do once I get my dog resecured in the back yard.

2. pglover19

pglover19 LawnSite Member

David,

What's your opinion on the Ryco Engineering transformers?

3. NightScenes

NightScenes LawnSite Silver Member

I have been using the Kichler PR and Contractor (no longer being made) series transformers and only had problems with one shipment. Out of that shipment I had problems with the 900 and 1200 watt Contractor (no longer being made) series transformers. I had never had any problems before then and have not had any problems since.

It would seem that MDL makes a very good unit.

4. Pro-Scapes

Pro-Scapes LawnSite Platinum Member

zero probs with the cast and kichler units here as well. I dont feel its worth it to jepordize the integrity (no pun intended) of your system to save a few bucks.

5. pcrispy

pcrispy LawnSite Member

6. johnquest

johnquest LawnSite Member

7. pcrispy

pcrispy LawnSite Member

johnquest, look at the post just above yours. I beat you to it by about 2 hours.

8. johnquest

johnquest LawnSite Member

Whoops. Didn't see your post. I tried to contact "Ryco Engineering" and can't locate a telephone number. Strange.

9. Pro-Scapes

Pro-Scapes LawnSite Platinum Member

i think the general consensus seems to be they are 2nd rate. If your serious about your business and quality stick to the name brand units and a company willing to stand behind thier unit

10. INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting LawnSite Platinum Member

I have installed 500+ Nightscaping Powercenters in the last 8 years. (who is counting??? it might be more but not less) I have NEVER had a failure. They look good, perform wonderfully and the H30 (Tri-tap) line save my butt all the time on big jobs. The best part is the modular control options... no other transformer on the market can compare.

Have a great day.