1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Rye Grass For Winter - How To

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by ashburg, Sep 23, 2007.

1. ashburg

ashburg LawnSite Member

Anyone care to share their thoughts on the best way to succesfully sow a winter rye lawn?

How do you prepare the ground...can I just throw the seed out on top or is it imperative that I thatch and rake it in?

How often do I water it while it is germinating?

Perhaps mix it with some Kentucky Blue Grass or something?

Annual or Perennial?

Exactly when do you treat it with fungicide?

Would 10-10-10 do ok? And I apply the fertilizer after, say, 2 cuts right?

thanks in advance!
  2. tjsquickcuts

tjsquickcuts LawnSite Senior Member
    from Atlanta

It depends on what type of lawn you are planning to seed.....If the lawn is Bermuda, Zoysia, centi, etc....then PLEASE DONT MIX ANY FESCUE with it.....you will hate yourself in the spring. But its a simple process. Cut the lawn as low as possible.....bagging if possible.....then I usually aerate the lawn before and after I have seeded the lawn and then seed once more. Water the lawn for about 2 hrs per zone on the first 3 days, then once a day for a 1 hr per zone for two weeks , then back to the regular schedule.....Also, use annual rye, and use a good winter fert (16-3-8)
  3. ashburg

ashburg LawnSite Member

hey, thanks for the reply.

I'm planning on overseeding centipede, commercially. I've done it on my own yard, St. Augustine, with some luck, but I always get fungus and patches.

I figure that if I'm going to do my customers yard, I'd better get it right.

So when do I use fungicide?