rye grass not growing???

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Fatdaddy, Dec 9, 2003.

1. Fatdaddy

Fatdaddy LawnSite Member

We buildt a new softball field for our girls'
    team. We sodded it in Early Sept and it
    took pretty good. Greened up good
    its hard to see the seams.

Coach wanted and we did soe about
    300 lbs of rye grass.. It came up good
    we put triple 15 once and it came on up.

We mowed twice. Well the frost came
    and now there are spots of rye that look good. There are more spots not showing up. If you look down in the bermuda you see small stands of rye. some spots show up good.

Did we mow to close?
    Is there anything that will bring it on up.
    The temps here in West Tenn are about
    low 30's some uppers 20's.

Fatdaddy
    rave@usit.net

2. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

Sowing rye grass is not a very good way to get the seed to germinate. My experience is that 10 to 25 percent of rye grass will come up this way on an overseed. You also didn't mention watering. Rye grass needs to be watered everyday for 3 weeks after application. Also, how big was the area where you put the seed down? Was it just the infield or the whole field?

3. Fatdaddy

Fatdaddy LawnSite Member

I had a 1 1/2 water tractor running alll the time. This was the outfield and besides
    base lines. No infield, all dirt.

Is there something to put on it to peark it up. I think we mowed it two low.

Dave

4. Doster's L & L

Doster's L & L LawnSite Senior Member

How low did you cut it? If you sayed at 2" or higher, you're fine. When it came up, did you let it get 5" high and then scalp it? If you did something like that then yeah, you shocked the heck out of it! Also, just curious, did you mow when the grass was frozen? That's not good either. You could try a fert that is low N, maybe something with 1-1-2 ratio or a 2-1-2. Even though this is a winter grass, don't expct a lot of growth unless temps hit 55-70F, which is highly unlikely now.

5. allstar

allstar LawnSite Senior Member

Hi Dave,
    I'm by no means an expert on this but I've planted rye grass in my own yard a number of times and tried a variety of things to increase the germination rate and to make it look healthier.For starters,you have to put out lots and lots of seed to get a nice result,and it appears that you've done that.One thing that absolutely worked for me was MiracleGro,the kind you hook up to a water hose.I applied it several weeks after I planted the rye grass and almost immediately more strands popped up and the grass looked much greener.Give a good soaking with MG and it might make a difference.It's not that expensive.Good luck. Jim