1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Rye grass

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by skurkp, Nov 15, 2005.

1. skurkp

skurkp LawnSite Member

I would like to rye my yard, I need some help. What kind of rye and how much? The yard is full shade all year so it will probably last awhile, I don't know.
  2. chimmygew

chimmygew LawnSite Senior Member

I'm not real good with rye grass, but I know up in my area, the best shade grass is creeping red fescue.
  3. Grassmechanic

Grassmechanic LawnSite Silver Member

Rye will not tolerate full shade.
  4. skurkp

skurkp LawnSite Member

There is some sunlight just not a whole lot. The St. Augustine struggles to do well.
  5. Don't think the rye will tolerate your temperatures in Houston either.....you could probably get a bit to hang around in the winter. Summer, no chance.

6. ThreeWide

ThreeWide LawnSite Bronze Member

The purpose here is to provide Winter color.

Annual grows very quickly and provides a lighter shade of green color. Perennial is a darker green and less agressive with growth. Based on the color, I might think annual would be a better match for St. Augustine.

Whether you use annual or perennial, rye generally will not do very well in the shade. And since it is in the shade, you might have problems transitioning out as the next Summer approaches.

You might do some research regarding which (annual vs. perennial) is more shade tolerant.
  7. skurkp

skurkp LawnSite Member

I really don't care how long it stays next summer, really I would like for the yard to look fuller and have more color. I do get fert aps done and pre and post emergent done. The yard just is not real thick in some places and could be more green.
  8. ThreeWide

ThreeWide LawnSite Bronze Member

In that case, overseeding with Rye won't help.

Rye actually makes the existing grass weaker due to competition. Unless your existing stand is very healthy, don't overseed.

Concentrate on getting your St. Augustine in better condition next year. Maybe a soil test would be in order.
  9. skurkp

skurkp LawnSite Member

10. Jpocket

Jpocket LawnSite Silver Member

Go with a mix of annual and perrenial rye, that way you get the benefits of both.