rye grass

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by LawnInOrder, Apr 25, 2006.

1. LawnInOrder

LawnInOrder LawnSite Senior Member

ok so from what i gather on lawnsite the fastests growing seed would be rye. I put down KBG seed down and it is taking forevera to germinate so i wnat something to grow in quickly. So the question is:

Should i use a rye blend or like straight rye seed. Thanks LawnInOrder

2. gene gls

gene gls LawnSite Gold Member

The ground is still too cold for fast germination....of any seed.

3. golfguy

golfguy LawnSite Member

Rye needs 47 F soil temp to germinate. Considering I have seed jumping in Ontario I would say put down a perennial rye blend and keep moist and I would assume that you would have sprigs in 10 days.

4. LawnInOrder

What is a good rye blend liek percentage wise, or is anythign ok to use?

5. Drew Gemma

Drew Gemma LawnSite Bronze Member

use a 5 way rye 60% 3 way kbg 20% 2 way fescue 20% total germination shoud be about 90%

6. LawnInOrder

thanks for the help guys LawnInOrder

7. golfguy

golfguy LawnSite Member

Considering you already have the KBG seed on the ground a straight 100% Perennial Rye blend would be fine. We often use this for quick recovery times on our driving range tee that gets beat up bad with divots. The KBG should eventual germinate and crowd the rye out.

Depending on your situation the fescue may be added for heat and drought tolerance.

8. turfcobob

turfcobob LawnSite Senior Member

When ever I put in a lawn I always put in 30% annual or prennial rye. Depending on if the customer wants the rye back next year. Why? The rye is up in 7 days even here in nasty Nebraska. The customer sees new grass in one week and feels good about the cost. It is called Gratification for money spent..If they have to wait a month to see new grass they get kinda....what did I spend my money on and start calling...See new grass in 7 days they get a good feeling about the purchase...I always do the rye...

9. chriscraft

chriscraft LawnSite Senior Member

It all depends on the customer the lawn the conditions, We custom mix all our seeds dor each customer. typical bluegrass germ is 21-28 days. It does take a long time but if the customer wants Bluegrass in his lawn or has just bluegrass , you better let him know your changing his grass with ryes 1st. We use manhattan III morningstar perrenial rye, and Linn perrennial rye. they typically germinate in 7-10 days but we can get them to germinate in 3-5 days if we topdress with prganic compost. We use a Turfco Metre-Matic topdresser and environmental compost 1/4 " deep. It works miracles for overseeding and rennovating.

10. Grassmechanic

Grassmechanic LawnSite Silver Member

With the new, improved varities of KBG, why would anyone want to use Rust prone P. ryes? I am getting 7 day germination with a mix of Blue Saphire,Award, Chateau, and NuGlade.