1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

rye in OKL city

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by leeslawncare, Nov 28, 2000.

1. leeslawncare

leeslawncare LawnSite Senior Member

Hey guys ..Are there any one here that is from okl city or the towns arond that? I just got back from norman today on a week long vacation ,an i seen a lot of brown grass there ! I was in a lot of small towns an see some NICE shacks !! but no one there had green lawns? Is it because I'am from tenn or what?why don't any one there overseed with rye? Looks like a lot of work to be had.Those fine homes?My wife is from there an i couldn't help but wonder why???
  2. jcoat

jcoat LawnSite Member

I'm in Tulsa and have lived in OK my whole life. A lot of people around here seed/sod with winter-dormant varieties like bermuda. I used to live in Norman, OKC and Sallisaw and it's pretty much like that state-wide. I don't know how easy it would be to sell "green" grasses to people since we receive a lot of drought during the summer... I could be wrong. I've never really thought about it. A lot of primo homes, though!
  3. leeslawncare

leeslawncare LawnSite Senior Member

Well i seen the brown bermuda i just thought overseeding with rye in the winter would give them green grass year round when the rye dies the bermuda would be greening up.just looked like a good way to make some extra bucks since you would hafta mow it earlier in the year.
  4. scottt

scottt LawnSite Senior Member

I'm from the Tulsa area and have tried to get some of my customers to let me seed with rye or fescue with no luck. But agree it's probably because of the dry hot summers we sometimes have. Most of them said they don't want to pay for any more mowings than they have to.