rye seeding

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by TPnTX, Oct 12, 2007.

1. TPnTX

TPnTX LawnSite Bronze Member

can someone tell me. If you opt to scalp and seed with rye this time of year, do you also fertilize?

2. Maxify

Maxify LawnSite Member

Here in North Florida we just broadcast the rye and not waste time with the fert. It'll come up. Rye's not a heavy feeder. Make sure you put your pre-em down 30 days before your rye seed though.

3. clallen03

clallen03 LawnSite Senior Member

I normally use starter fert when I seed with rye. I seed in middle September here. In my area there is 75% bermuda turf and it doesn't need lots of N during that time of year. So starter has been doing well for me. I have never seeded without fert but Im sure if you aerate and the seeds get a good soil contact then they will germinate.

4. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

We aerated a yard and planted rye and we had this hole pattern of rye...kinda neat but took a long time to cover completely. Obviously the seed in the holes grew the fastest. Our rye planting days are over in Austin they have essentially discouraged the planting by restricting water use.

5. TPnTX

TPnTX LawnSite Bronze Member

wow that hurts the maintenance business a lot i'm sure. Rules out the 16 extra mows a year.

6. tjsquickcuts

tjsquickcuts LawnSite Senior Member
    from Atlanta

My experience with Rye is that is just needs a min. amount of water. Aerating really isnt needed unless its dry like it is this year in the S.E. I had some Rye seeds spill out on the trailer, and wouldnt you know there is growth....Rye will grow on anything just like Bermuda.