Rye to Bermuda

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by JDavisTexas, Jun 20, 2004.

1. JDavisTexas

JDavisTexas LawnSite Member
    from DFW

I have a customer whose home builder laid Rye sod in the building process. My question is should I spread Bermuda seed this late in the season or just wait for the Rye to die out and Bermuda to take over? Some Bermuda has already started to grow in, but they want me to fertilize and I do not think that will help. Any assistance will be appreciated.
    Thanks,
    Jim

2. JDavisTexas

from DFW

ok, some have looked at this, but nobody has responded. Don't tell me nobody wants to help out a rookie!?
    Jim

3. HayBay

HayBay LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ontario

Jim,

I don't exactly know what you mean about the Rye sod and then the bermuda coming through it. Was is reseeded with bermuda later?

I haven't used bermuda, but I know grass seed needs alot of water at this time of year to keep moist. at least 2-3 weeks of constant moisture. If it dries out after germination they will die.

Try and get at it in the fall, its the best time. If not get a timer and water religiously. If you use fertilizer with new seed you have to use a starter fertilizer, no or very low Nitrogen.

4. HayBay

HayBay LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ontario

5. z_clark

z_clark LawnSite Senior Member

I do many new homes like this. Sometimes the Bermuda in the sod is not very strong. You should have been lowering the height of cut a month ago, I am coming back up with height now. Most of the rye should be phased out by now b/c of the heat. I am fertilizing mine again this week, and let that Bermuda come on....it is tough stuff!

Hope this helped. Good luck!

6. JDavisTexas

from DFW

HayBay,
    This is a newly constructed home (March). The builder laid Rye Grass sod so it would be green for showing. The Rye is dying out. I spoke with the sod crew and they told me there was some Bermuda in the sod. We want the Bermuda to take over. I was just wondering if seeding would help keep them from having so many dead spots as the Rye dies out or should we just wait and let time take it's course.
    I really thought it was to late to seed.
    Thanks'
    Jim

7. EZTarget

EZTarget LawnSite Senior Member

i say wait. depending on where it is, some areas in dallas have already imposed watering restrictions. and it will only get worse as we get into july and don't get any rain for 6-8 weeks at a time.
    you could lose it easily.

8. JDavisTexas

from DFW

z clark,
    I just picked up the customer two weeks ago. The info will help though.
    Thanks,
    Jim

9. JDavisTexas

from DFW

How much fert is enough. I applied two weeks ago. I will wait and not seed. Thanks to all.
    Jim

10. eakern

eakern LawnSite Member
    from Georgia

I'm curious,

Why would a builder lay Rye Sod instead of Bermuda ? I'm in Georgia and Rye grass will only thrive in the cooler months and basically die in the heat. I would think that if you were going to lay sod in the Texas/Dallas area that using Bermuda Sod in the first place would have been better. Am I off base in my thinking here or is there something about Rye grass that I may be unaware of ?