1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Ryobi 30cc trimmer, too much oil?

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by kcowell, Apr 27, 2005.

1. kcowell

kcowell LawnSite Member

Purchased the trimmer late last summer and obviously haven't used it that much. It started bogging down as if it were getting too much fuel when I went from half-open to full-open. It wouldn't rev up and "open" up like it used to. It was just slapping weeds around and they were bouncing back up laughing. The repair shop said; There was too much oil in the system/line. Because I took the guard off, it was running too rich because on occasion I must have let the string get too long and make the motor pull too much trimmer line around causing it to run too rich. Fuel was mixed good, settings were fine, just it was running too rich due to the guard being off.

The funny thing is, my line was only about 5 inches long. I don't remember ever keeping it much longer than that.

Does this sound right?
  2. Guthrie&Co

Guthrie&Co LawnSite Senior Member
    from nc

it just sounds like the line was to long or too much was loaded onto the spool.
  3. riches139

riches139 LawnSite Senior Member

Take off the spark arrestor. Probably partially plugged.
  4. hole in one lco

hole in one lco LawnSite Bronze Member

sounds like you were a girl at the mechanic shop
  5. mike76

mike76 LawnSite Member

Riches 139 is right its probbly the spark arrestor or screen, or the exhaust port is stopped up on the cylinder. While you have the muffler off look and see if its clear or stopped up, it will be obvious if it is.