ryobi 725r trimmer

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by cpatter, Jun 19, 2004.

1. cpatter

cpatter LawnSite Member

Have a ryobi 725r trimmer that has been working great for 6 years. I can get it started but it will only run for about 5 minutes before losing power. It will not idle anymore and I cannot restart it right after I use it. I have replaced air filter and spark plug. It leaks gas/oil mixture from the muffler. Is this a fuel line and primer bulb problem?

2. vipermanz

vipermanz LawnSite Bronze Member

doesn't sound like a fuel line problem, you might need to rebuild the carb though, that's a new diaphragm, needle, and gaskets, about 10 bucks from a dealer

3. locutus

locutus LawnSite Bronze Member
    from NC

This response is 100% correct. I just rebuilt the carb in an Echo trimmer that was acting the same way. I would mention however that at 6 yrs old that type of trimmer might be getting a tad tired. Have you ever considered a commercial trimmer?

4. cpatter

cpatter LawnSite Member

I rebuilt the carb, but I still leak fuel and the trimmer will not idle. It acts like it is being choked. :cry:

5. cpatter

cpatter LawnSite Member

It ended up being the fuel line. Since it was still leaking gas I took off the carb cover and remove the fuel line. I clamped off the fuel line with a small cresent wrench and pumped the primer bulb. Sure enough there were two small pin prick holes.

The trimmer should last me another six years with a carb rebuild, new air filter, new fuel line, new primer bulb, and new spark plug.:eek:

6. vipermanz

vipermanz LawnSite Bronze Member

cool, fuel line probs can be hard to spot