1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Ryobi blower issue

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by Wayne02, Jul 5, 2004.

1. Wayne02

Wayne02 LawnSite Member
    from WA

I've got a Ryobi Model 280r blower (older unit) that will idle but not run on full throttle. The primer bulb was split so I replaced that but it will still not run on throttle. It starts fine, idles ok, and will throttle up for about 15 seconds or so, then dies down. If I choke it I can get to remain idling and if I leave it idling for a while it will throttle up for another 15 second run. Almost as if it is running on the fuel in the float bowl and then it runs dry.

Can you get carb rebuild kits for these older units? Can I buy individual carb parts or is that not worth it? In the short term, is there anything I can take apart and clean that may help?

2. xcopterdoc

xcopterdoc LawnSite Senior Member

Make sure the fuel tank vent is clear.. might be in the fuel cap.. also make sure the spark arrestor screen in the muffler is clear and clean.
  3. dcondon

dcondon LawnSite Silver Member

just what I was thinking
  4. dcondon

dcondon LawnSite Silver Member

also check the air filter, may have to blow it out
  5. vipermanz

vipermanz LawnSite Bronze Member

get the carb's model number and go get a rebuild kit, about $10
  6. grass_cuttin_fool

grass_cuttin_fool LawnSite Gold Member

I saw a post here the other day on a ryobi trimmer.Not sure what all the symtoms were but that guy did a rebuild on the carb and all and in doing that found out he had a bad fuel line, may want to check the fuel lines too
  7. vipermanz

vipermanz LawnSite Bronze Member

thanks for that addition, being an older model like he has that is very possible
  8. fixer67

fixer67 LawnSite Silver Member

Just one gasket out of that kit will cost you 3/4 of what the whole kit sells for. It is not worth it.
  9. Bitter

Bitter LawnSite Member
    from Chicago

I have been having the same issue for the past couple of seasons! its really getting on my nerves because i use the blower to clean the gutters the easy way. im lazy :p

its always been really hard to start from "cold", even new out of the box.

ok, so the 1st time i had the problem it was just dieing at WOT... so i sprayed a lil carb/choke down the carb and that cleared it. then a fuel line ( the one to the primer) went rotten. i replaced that and it was ok for a little while. then i had a hell of a time getting it to start (that tiny lil pull blistered my hand) so i pulled the carb and pulled it apart, cleaned the little screen in it and soaked the whole thing in cleaner, dried it and make sure it was all spiffy clean. put it back on and it was all good. now the son of a gun will only run on full choke! heck i can cover that tiny little pinhole with my finger and it still runs! i think its leaking in air somewhere and that the carb diaphram is shot. frankly, im done dealing with it because i got a "new" blower now. its a homelite that i found broken in the middle of the street. i superglued the carb spacer back together and it runs like a champ, starts on the 4th pull every time! anyone want to buy a 280R for $20? :D
  10. Lawn Masters

Lawn Masters LawnSite Senior Member

What model Homelite do you have? is it a BX90? thats what one of mine is, and I hate it, it vibrates like a v8.