Ryobi Click Link trimmer and attachments?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by FrankenScagMachines, Feb 13, 2002.

1. FrankenScagMachines

FrankenScagMachines LawnSite Platinum Member
    from IN

Are they good? Is it worth it? Here is a place that sells them reconditioned, we've had reconditioned stuff before and it's been ok. I might be starting this spring and need to keep costs down until $$$ starts flowing. Wondering if a Ryobi Click Link 15" trimmer and edger (maybe other attachments later) would be good??? later I might get a blower, and maybe hedge trimmer.
  2. FrankenScagMachines

from IN

3. awm

awm LawnSite Gold Member

ive got some of these. the brush cutters not bad ,also trims alright. got the edger and limb cutter . cant brag on these much.
    theyll do if my my primary tools break down .my problem with the ryobi is that my small engine mechanic says he dont want anything to do with them. i dont like to work onum either.
    later now
  4. It's ok as a back up machine, and maybe in your case as a start up machine, but I learned something in doing this business for over 30 years, buy the best that you can afford. Simply put, spend the money now becuase you will spend it later

Just my thought.
  5. Shady Brook

Shady Brook LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indiana

I have had these in the past. My suggestion is, if you plan on being in the business for a while, I would save my money on a couple quality tools. Get a Echo, Stihl, Remax, shidowa, something of that caliber, and you will not be sorry. You will be able to go so much faster, and I think have a higher quality of product when you get done.

Those Ryobi's just do not have any torque. The weedwhips are plain feeble in comparison.

Think about looking in local papers and advertizers for some used commercial stuff. I found a Shidowa Whip, in excellant condition, used by a homeowner for $50. I think you will be way better off.

6. walker-talker

walker-talker LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Midwest

years ago i bought the ryobi quick link (reconditioned) weed eater from harbor freight as well. For commercial use, they would work for awhile, but I would only use if intended to purchase a commercial soon, very soon. Then use it as a back up, this is what i do. I have not even started mine in a couple of years (hey, think i will do that today). I bought the tiller attatchment at Home Depot for $80, it sucks. There's my .02 worth!

LAWNS AND MOWER LawnSite Bronze Member

Ryobi's normally average about 80% of weedeaters waiting to be fixed at my mechanic's shop. I bought the hedge trimmer attachment last fall and talk about being heavy. I was in tears trying to hold the trimmers straight for any period over 5 mins. I broke down and bought a Stihl FS 85 with a articulating hedge trimmer attachment this week. Our local Lowes is closing down this month and everything is 1/2 price. Lawn and garden center was wiped out except for Ryobi products. This should tell you something.

8. lamblawnscaping

lamblawnscaping LawnSite Member

No offense to anyone that uses Ryobi, but had a couple when I was younger and they were junk. The idea of getting a multi-purpose tool is a good one if you are trying to keep costs down. Echo and Stihl make good ones (stihl is better than echo, also more expensive). I would still rather have seperate tools for each job though, perhaps use a multi-purpose as a back up. I use all shindaiwa myself. I have had good luck with ebay, you may want to check what they have. One thing i have learned about ebay is to wait unitl there is about 5-8 seconds left in the bidding to bid. I have gotten beat several times with only 2-3 seconds left.
  9. FrankenScagMachines

from IN

OK thanks. You know how you hear some brands are kinda good, and then hear other things about it too, and then you're just lost, well that's kinda how i was.. I will look at ebay for a Stihl maybe. thanks