Ryobi or Bust?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing Equipment' started by WishforScagWildcat, Apr 28, 2013.

1. WishforScagWildcat

WishforScagWildcat LawnSite Member
    from Georgia

My friend down the street just bought a 4 cycle Ryobi straight shaft trimmer from home depot for $200. Is it worth it. Ryobi is cheap so I figure it will eventualy break but what do you guys think about it. Ive got Echo but will switch to a Stihl fs 90. But now arises could a Ryobi 4 cycle be worth it? I probably wouldn't but he is my friend and I want to let him Know if its Crap Or a decent choice for once!

2. Bates Lawn Care

Bates Lawn Care LawnSite Member

Stihl Fs90 over any Home Depot junk.

3. Ridin' Green

Ridin' Green LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Michigan

I ran one of the Ryobi 4 stroke trimmers hard for 10+ years. It needs a new primer bulb and the valves adjusted now (it'll be the first time ever doing it to it), but it has been a darn good trimmer overall. I replaced it a long time ago and it has been sitting since, but I know it'll go after the tune up.

When I get around to adjusting the valves and replacing the primer bulb, I'll reserve it for use with the cultivator attachment only.

4. WishforScagWildcat

from Georgia

Anyone else have any more input?

5. Eric's Lawnservice

Eric's Lawnservice LawnSite Member

I run ryobi straight shaft trimmers with the interchangeable shafts. Personally I think they are great engines. The best thing about ryobi is there somewhat disposable. You can buy a new one for 80.00 at HD and keep on going. I service about 17 lawns a week so I don't have alot of abuse on these, but for the price they can't be beat. You can get refurbished ryobi equipment online. Comes with a year warranty and the whole trimmer is only 70.00. I haven't tried the 4 strokes yet. I'm sure they have better torque ratio.
    Posted via Mobile Device

6. WillsLandscape

WillsLandscape LawnSite Member

I've heard that the less expensive ryobi/craftsman/troybilt 4 cycles leak oil if you turn the upside down, like if you edging with the trimmer.

Also, I'd definately take the FS90R, I have one, and it's wonderful.

7. WishforScagWildcat

from Georgia

Thanks for the info. I dont care for Ryobi, I am getting the fs90r. This post really was just so I could advise my Friend!

8. Ridin' Green

Ridin' Green LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Michigan

Like I said, I have an older Ryobi and it has been a great trimmer, but I also have an FS90R and it is in another league as is is my Husky 223L. Then, there's the FS250.......

9. Valk

Valk LawnSite Silver Member

One bad 2.15hp mutha fo sho!

10. JCLawn and more

JCLawn and more LawnSite Fanatic
    from MI

Personally I'd spend the exta $150 on a dolmar 4 stroke, I can't say on the ryobi though.