1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Ryobi RGBV3100 mulcher/blower

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by roofer, Nov 14, 2005.

1. roofer

roofer LawnSite Member

Will not start.But,If I pour gas into spark plug hole it will run until gas is gone also there is a white and red adjustment of some sort on top of the carburator I am not sure if thes are correct or not.

Can you give me any suggestions?
  2. lawnmaniac883

lawnmaniac883 LawnSite Silver Member

Flip the unit over, looking down from the top, you will see four tourx headed bolts holding the head on. These have likely rattled loose, causing you to lose compression and crankcase vacuum. Buy some loctite red, coat the bolts and reinstall, hand torque them down as much as you can.
  3. roofer

roofer LawnSite Member

It starts now after I push the prime bulb then I pull the rope it starts and sounds wide open then shuts right back off
  4. Lawn Masters

Lawn Masters LawnSite Senior Member

has the unit been sitting for a period longer than 30 days with fuel in the tank? if so, I'd flush it out, take the carb apart, except for those screws with the plastic caps on them, and clean everything out real well, if that fails, get a proper rebuild kit for it, and replace the gaskets. if that fails, I'm out of ideas.
  5. Jim Buessing

Jim Buessing LawnSite Member

Don't do a poor job. You obviously have a fuel related problem. Start at the basics then go the more complex. Begin where the fuel enters the system at the filter then the lines into the carb. If it has set for any period of time the diaphrams will weaken and sometimes they get hard. So you will find that the pump side wont pump and the metering side wont meter. Get a proper rebuild kit from your local outdoor power equipment dealer. Some kits will contain more parts than you need for your machine. Just replace the ones you take out. Be sure that you change the sceen in the carb and the needle valve. When those are apart blow through to be sure no debris is in the passage. Be sure you remember which gakets came off first. A good trick to remember with 2-cycle cars is that the gasket will go to the ribbed portion of the carb.
    Good Luck. The kit should cost you about $12