1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Ryobi String Trimmer

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Yoopergal, Apr 25, 2004.

1. Yoopergal

Yoopergal LawnSite Member
    from Georgia

WEll I have tried to start this darn trimmer so many times my arm is going to fall off. I did get it started once today!! For about 5 seconds then poof! Now the primer bulb is rotted. I think this may have been the problem. I was priming it and the bulb spewed gas on my finger. It is totally shot. Can you buy these things? Or do I really need one?? Thanks for anything you can do to help me so I don't throw the thing in the trash:eek:
  2. 1acreplus

1acreplus LawnSite Member

Without a model, I can't say for sure, but google for "ryobi trimmer parts", and you'll see about a dozen places that sell parts. Being that the primer bulbs and carb diaphragms in two-cycle equipment have to be replaced frequently, it's a safe bet that you can get a new part fairly easily.
  3. Yoopergal

Yoopergal LawnSite Member
    from Georgia

It is a Ryobi 15" 31 cc 700R I will try your google idea. Thank you for the help...Stay warm.:D
  4. cvogtffemt

cvogtffemt LawnSite Member
    from Indiana

For my ryobi's I have to start the on full choke until they sound like they want to start, and then switch to half choke and they start right up.
  5. NCSULandscaper

NCSULandscaper Banned

You would actually be cheaper in the long run to get a professional series trimmer.
  6. impactlandscaping

impactlandscaping LawnSite Silver Member

Buy a Shindaiwa!! You will spend more $$ than that Ryobi is worth to keep it running..
  7. Leisure Lawn

Leisure Lawn LawnSite Member

Try an Echo...

easy starting reasonable prices...

$199 for a straight shaft trimmer

great stuff!!
  8. Evermow

Evermow LawnSite Member

I've been using a Riobi 2079r Profossional trimmer for the past four years. I bought it because at the time, I was only doing three other yards besides my own, and the trimmer-plus attachments were alot cheaper than seperate ones. I am about to buy a real commercial-grade trimmer- probably a Redmax, but I feel that the Ryobi has served me well. It always starts on the first or second pull, and I've never even replaced the original spark plug.
  9. Evermow.... I just bought a redmax.... and it runs great......
  10. TheKingNJ

TheKingNJ LawnSite Senior Member

Don't buy home owner crap!! I just made that mistake today.
    I needed another back pack blower and the redmax want is $450. I decided to F*** it and go buy a cheap $160 for the summer because all i need this one for is to get grass clippings off driveways I won't be really using it heavy untillt the fall when i plan on buying another redmax. It's a 32cc McCullan or somthing the stats on it weren't too bad 180 wind speed 32cc i bought it from lowes so I wasn't about to ask someone if I could pull it out of the box and try it. So I just bought it and I rate it about 6 out of 10 for what I was expecting from it, and a 4 out of 10 as a blower. It will do the trick for what I need it for light grass clippings but it will be worthless to me once fall comes. The one thing that really confused me was I was flipping though the manual, looking for what kinda mix it needed and it has a MAX RUNNING TIME of 60 min. That sucks. but it should work for what i need it for as long as it doesn't break.

but anyway, get your self a RedMax