ryobi trimmer wont start

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by toro85, Jul 17, 2008.

1. toro85

toro85 LawnSite Member

my RYOBI trimmer takes a long time to start, whats the problem?

2. KrayzKajun

KrayzKajun LawnSite Fanatic

whts a ryobi??

3. toro85

toro85 LawnSite Member

Um its a brand.

4. SLR

SLR LawnSite Gold Member

Go get another new cheap piece of poo.Do not throw away your money fixing
    any low level weedeater.

5. Lawn-Sharks

Lawn-Sharks LawnSite Senior Member

I agree! throw that turd away and spend a little coin on a reputable brand name. Theres a guy that everytime I'm servicing one of my accounts, he comes out and mows his house and i watch him pull on his ryobi for 10 minutes trying to start it...Hee Hee... I make sure to be in eye shot of him , so he can watch me pull my echo twice and go!

6. jkason

jkason LawnSite Senior Member

I agree. The only way it's worth fixing is if you are going to do it yourself.
    If you don't know how, it will cost approx $40 to fix an $80 trimmer.

7. SLR

SLR LawnSite Gold Member

You do have the option of purchasing a new sharp pair of scissors & or pruners toro85.
    Both are equal to a ryboi-toy, time management wise.

8. Phil G

Phil G LawnSite Senior Member

My advise would be to return it to the store and trade it up for a better build machine. Push yourself to the highest quality machine. It will be money well spent. We've all done this false economy trip.
    Go on, git it back to the store :)

atb Phil

9. KennyW

KennyW LawnSite Member

If it is a Homelite/Ryobi, yellow shaft, it has a Barrel carb on it. If so, you need to flip the start lever up (it acts like a choke but it is really opening up the inlet port to the venturi), pump the primer bulb at least 10 times, pull it and it should pop and start, at which point you should immediately floor the throttle a couple times. I have a customer with one and I show him this every time he brings it over. And make sure the gas/mix is fresh. Even one month old gas mix with this 10% ethanol is junk and won't start on these Ryobis and HD version Echo trimmers and blowers.

10. CT18fireman

CT18fireman LawnSite Senior Member

Not for nothing but I have a Ryobi 725 trimmer, I bought it mainly because it had the interchangeable shafts, this was before the "name" brands starting making them. It was a good cheap way to get a long reach hedge trimmer. I figured it would last a year, but funds were low then. Its about 10 years old and mostly rides the rack as a second backup or get used when we want the hedge trimmer or the brushcutter.

Here's the thing, it starts everytime. Pump the prime 4-5 times, choke it, squeze the trigger and pull, 1-2 pulls and it is running. My Husky and Echos aren't that reliable.