1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

S-10 Pick up

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by mycave, Jan 14, 2001.

1. mycave

mycave LawnSite Member

Im thinking about buying a s-10 pickup to drive in good weather and during the summer To help with gas milage and keep miles off my GMC 4x4. Like the small truck vs a small car because I always seem to need a truck. Is there anything I should be aware of or look for? Is the gas milage good with the mini trucks? Thanks for the info!
  2. John DiMartino

John DiMartino LawnSite Silver Member

look for the 4.3 /automatic,and 3.42 gears.it is the bets combo for performance,pulling and plowing.If it has hi miles make sure you have the front end checked at a shop,the ball joints,idler arm/pitman arm especially.
  3. mycave

mycave LawnSite Member

John I will be looking for a 2 wheel drive. Just to drive back and forth to work. 4 or 6 cylinder which is better?
    Also manual or auto? It will be all highway miles no plans to pull heavy loads. Just want better gas milage and a pickup box for minor loads. Thanks for the info!
  4. plowking35

plowking35 LawnSite Bronze Member
    from S.E. CT

I am a gm man, but for the money get a toyota. Much better mileage and better reliability in the long haul. Not as much power v6 vs v6, but the toy 4cyl will have as much power as a gm 4 cyl.
    By friend has a 4 cyl ext cab s 10 with air and 5 sp, and it is a dog. A toy or Nissan will walk it any day.
  5. 85w/350

85w/350 LawnSite Member

Sounds like a plan just don't let the 4x4 sit too long without running...I say look for a 4.3 6-cyl because it gets almost the exact milage of the 4-cyl...a friend of mine has a 4-cylnder and its just way too slow getting up to speed..like plowking said it is a DOG anything will run it flat...like 0-60 in a mile I think you'd be cheating yourself with a 4cyl. plus the 6 just has that extra power when you need it...for interstate driving I would say auto but for gas mileage standard...who knows maybe even look for a standard with cruise control....gas mileage varies depending upon the gear ratio's I have seen a 01 GMC get 14 city and 15 interstate a 95 get 15 city 23 interstate and a 95 get 18-20 city 28-30 interstate.....so just really look into something before you buy gearing is crucial...btw all those mentioned were automatics with 6-cyl owned by family...i think my buddie's 4 cyln gets 25city and 30 interstate...hope this helps
  6. John DiMartino

John DiMartino LawnSite Silver Member

Dino,are you feeling ok? A toyota? My friend has a toyota,it is the cheesiest truck i ever seen,the sheetmetal is so thin,you sneeze by it and it puts a dent in it.The S10 has a noticeable torque advantage with the 4.3 v6,the 3.4 tacoma motor doesnt have the reliablity record of the 4.3,it needs to have 600 worth of timing belt/water pump replaced as preventative maintance every 60K miles.The S10 is more truck for the money,my brother sold his 95 2wd excab last yr,he put 176K on it and the only thing that ever happened to it was a serpentine belt idler pulley blew a bearing.If your buying a 95 or newer look for the 4.3 Z code #8 digit of VIN#,or the 4.3 W VIN engine,they are both 4.3's the W has 195hp,the Z has 155hp.The W code "enhanced 4.3" is rare in pickups,but standard in blazers.I have one in my 1995 4 dr blazer,it weighs 4000 lbs and it rocks even with 137K on it.If it were a toyota,i would have spent over 1200 in timing belts already.
  7. Jeff's Classics

Jeff's Classics LawnSite Member

Sometime in the mid-90's GM started putting a 2.2 liter 4-cyl in the S-series trucks. It is better than the old 2.5 iron duke, but you are MUCH better off with a V6. My dad is the original owner of a '90 S-10 with the 4-cyl and 5-speed. It gets relatively poor gas mileage, has NO power, and has some of the front-end problems listed in this thread. He put a cap on the back that stuck up above the roof a 10" or 12", and it wouldn't go over 75 with that little extra drag!
    Other than that it has been a pretty tough truck, though. I hope to get it when he wears it out and put a small block Chevy V8 in it...
  8. mycave

mycave LawnSite Member

Thanks for the help I am going to stay with a gm product I cant bring my self to buy a toyota. If the milage is the same and sounds like it is I will get a v6. Most likely a automatic. The 4x4 wont sit long just want smaller truck for gas milage to and from work.