1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

S-10 Pickup with 4 cylinder???

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by riley1374, Jun 21, 2005.

1. riley1374

riley1374 LawnSite Member

I have the oppurtunity to buy a 2000 S-10 pick up with 43K on the clock for $4,500. My question is, will i be able to pull a 6 X 12 enclosed? I know it wont have a lot of get up and go, but all my jobs are fairly close and no highway driving. It only has the 4 cylinder motor. Thanks
  2. cndhaines

cndhaines LawnSite Member

it might pull it but the real question is will it stop when someone pulls out in front of. i wouldnt recamend it with a 4 cyl maybe a 6 cyl i know that u would be pushing the towing capacity probably at 100% go to chevys web site and look up the towing capacities then under rate then to 80% if u are over that u are unsafe .

3. Lawn Masters

Lawn Masters LawnSite Senior Member

First, confirm that it can tow, some of these newer s10 trucks come with sport suspension, if there isnt a place to put a hitch on the back bumper, pass it up as those are equipped with sport suspension, not standard hauling type. I know this because my mom drives one. I think you can find a better truck than an S10 anyways. I just hate GM vehicles, but thats just me.
  4. jlewis

jlewis LawnSite Member

I want to say no. I towed a 6X12 enclosed w/ a V6 ext cab S10 for a bit. I could get going, but stopping was down right scary! Having owned a 4 cyl before the V6, I don't think you will even get going. I had helper springs and had to reinforce the frame to be able to tow. I decided I needed a real truck because the risk was too high.
  5. A+ Lawncare

A+ Lawncare LawnSite Senior Member

was this this truck extended cab or just an regular cab.... 4wd?

i know these are irrevelant questions, but i'm just curious $4,500 sounds like a killer buy if everything checks out.
  6. pottstim

pottstim LawnSite Senior Member

$4500 sounds like a decent price on that S10, but if you are gonna buy it to pull an enclosed trailer don't waste your money. I had a '95 s10 2.2 L 4 cylinder 5 speed that I bought new. I drove the truck nearly 5 years, and it was a good little truck, but the 2.2 is not a very impressive engine. It is basically built for economy and running around with maybe a little light hauling. Let's put it this way, this truck struggled with the A/C on with an empty pickup bed. When I came up on a moderate to large hill, I had to turn the A/C off and drop down to 4th gear in order not to lose a tremendous amount of speed. IMO, I would keep searching. I think that you might be able to pick up an early to mid 90's 1/2 ton 2wd truck for that amount of money. I wouldn't ask any 4 cyl compact pickup no matter what brand to pull an enclosed trailer loaded with mowers and other equipment. Best of luck with your search and keep us posted.
  7. Lawn Masters

Lawn Masters LawnSite Senior Member

I wont tow a 6X12 trailer with anything less than 1/2ton trucks with V8s, just better power that way, and braking is better.
  8. ALarsh

ALarsh LawnSite Silver Member
    from Midwest

lol. My 4.0 liter v6 ranger pulls my 6.5 X 12 trailer w/ my z on it just fine.
  9. dvmcmrhp52

dvmcmrhp52 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Pa.

A 4 litre is a far cry from a 4 cylinder.

Don't waste your money if your intentions are to haul an enclosed trailer with it.
  10. HOOLIE

HOOLIE LawnSite Gold Member

Yea, I would check on the towing capacity of the truck first. Currently I'm towing a 5x10 open trailer with a 4 cyl Nissan Frontier (automatic). Trailer weighs 650 pounds, 2 wb's full of gas another 1000, so 1650 total weight. Truck is rated to pull 2000. It tows about as well as you would expect...gets the job done, but not very quickly. It is what it is. Run it with the overdrive off, helps greatly.