s-10 truck for maint.

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by bababooie, Nov 16, 2002.

1. bababooie

bababooie LawnSite Member

can a s-10,or similiar size truck be used for maintenance only?can it pull a16ft trailor with 2 walkers on it.

2. John DiMartino

John DiMartino LawnSite Silver Member

It can do it,but it will be borderline on handling/stabilty.Mine towed my 18 ft trailer fine.I wouldnt want to do it every day though.The walkers and an average 16fter w/mowers/trimers /fuel comes up at about 4500 -5000 lbs,the limit of the s10.Your supposed to have a weight dist hitch when you have over 300 lbs tongue weight on an S10 also,that could be a PITA to hook up often.

3. eslawns

eslawns LawnSite Senior Member

It can and I used a Ranger 4 cyl for 2 years. There is a guy around here who uses a 4 cyl Nissan to pull a 16' with 3 WBs in it. However, I would find a full sized truck. There's usually a reason why things become trends, usually because somebody thought it would be cool. If trends stick around, it's because somebody realized it was a good idea.

4. John DiMartino

I almost forgot,i wouldnt use the 4cly,only the 4.3 V6 its a strong engine that will pull that with no problems.

5. Fvstringpicker

Fvstringpicker LawnSite Fanatic

I use an S10 blazer with 4.3 once and awhile. I have more problem stopping than pulling. (exmark & walker). You may consider some form of trailer brakes if you don't already have them.

6. rkbrown

rkbrown LawnSite Senior Member

I would not do it. Let me qualify that. I would if it was all that I had, but I would make the top priority for my next equipment purchase to be a new or used full sized truck...preferably a 3/4 ton for a 16' trailer. With a 4 cyl you will definitely be straining the engine and transmission. With a small 6 you will still be straining the tranny.

7. John DiMartino

All 16 ft trailers sold here have brakes.I never thought much about it,since they all have them.The sninles axle 12fters dont,but Ny law says if it weighs over 1000 empty it needs them.and if its commercial it needs them on all axles.I had the controller and working brakes,this makes a huge difference.

8. rcav8er

rcav8er LawnSite Member

I use a S-10 Blazer with a 4.3 liter to pull my equipment and it does just fine. The only caution is I had my trailer built with electric brakes. When loaded your trailer will be close to your vehicle weight, stopping will be a issue. The last thing any of use need is to be involved in a accident with your company name plastered on the side of the truck. Can you say "Law Suit".
    I'll be upgrading to a full size truck soon as the profits will allow it!
    :rolleyes:

9. mklawnman

mklawnman LawnSite Senior Member

I use a 98 Ford Ranger 4x4 4.0L Automatic and it pulls a 12ft single axle trailer fine with a Turf Tiger and a Wb on it along with handheld stuff. It doesnt have brakes on it but the next trailer im buying is a 16ft and so it will have brakes on. Anything over 12ft on a trailer should have brakes on them, thats what my problem can be if i need to stop suddenly, can wear the brakes out on the truck. Should look into getting brakes for the 12ft but really dont see a need for them considering im buying a bigger truck in the next year or so.
    Braking is what your main concern is, but also your 1/4 pickup will be taking alot more abuse on the tranny and engine, so I recomend looking at a fullsize if possible
    Good Luck
    Matt

10. Albemarle Lawn

Albemarle Lawn LawnSite Bronze Member

The 4.3 is essentially a 350 with 2cyl whacked off. The 4.3 was the base engine in full size trucks for many years. I had one in a GMC 1500 and it got up to 250,000 miles before it died.

You will pull well especially if you changed the gearing to 3.73 or 4.10.

BUT! Why?

The truck is compact and the trailer is wide. You won't gain any manueverability. You will find yourself smacking curbs- hard- with the trailer unless you are very vigilant about the width.

and stopping....or trying to stop....on wet roads esp, could be disasterous.

Don't do it unless you have no other options.

Ken