S-Corp vs C-Corp or LLC

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by machine, Jul 12, 2000.

1. machine

machine LawnSite Member
    from OH

Making the right choice in how your business in organized is a curical decison. I would love to debate the advantages and disadvantages to get a better understanding how we all opperate. I was preached to about forming a S-Corp years ago by the lawncare industry, but went the other way as a C-Corp. Yes, there is more paper work, but thats about the only disadvantage. I could list many more disadvantages to being a S-Corp. <p>Here some Topic's to get you guys FIRED UP:<p>Why be restricted on the class and how many share you can issue? Why be restricted period?<p>Double taxation is more of an advantage than what people think. <p> Also the prestige of being a C-Corp is uncomparable in the ease of Captial Markets and Marketablity toward shareholders, institutonial bankers, suppliers and about everyone. <p>I would also like to know Why you choose to be that certain entity.
  2. Prime Seasons

Prime Seasons LawnSite Member

S corp for my setup.<p>Why? Because my CPA and laywer both say so. My basis is primarily to minimize taxation and to shell/insulate my person from the business. Some may elect LLC or even S corp, but be careful as you can go from s to c easily but not the other way around.<p>Is S corp best for everyone? Not on your life. Hire an accountant you trust and pay for his service if you don't know how best to run your business-- that is their specialty!<p>Hope this is helpful...<p>gus
  3. lawnforce1

lawnforce1 LawnSite Member

We an S-corp. It all depends on what you want to do, how many people/corps. are participating and how much money you want to pay tax on.
  4. machine

machine LawnSite Member
    from OH

Numbers may be rough but talk about minizing taxation. Your GAAP Account & lawyer want the least amount of work to do. <br> Say Company has 100,000 gross profit. You take and Salary of 30,000, dedutable to only the C and a Pension of $25,000(Dividends not included in this example). Know Taxable income to the C is less than 50,000 at 15% Corporate tax bracket and your personal income is also $30,000 less Std detuction and extemptions to put you in tax bracket of 15%. (Filing single) Thats average tax of 30%(actually lower) <br>Where as an S dedution for Simple Plan or Keogh and all other dedutions and exptemtions still puts you in a 31% Tax braket. That 1% can add up to alot of money, plus the more money the Corp makes the wider that percent gap becomes. There are much more dedutable expenses a C can declare wear a S cannot, reducing the TI even futher and increase the gap on Avg. TAX paid to IRS.<br>
  5. bill phagan

bill phagan Guest

various corporations are designed for various businesses based on a number of variables......income, etc...suggest you get direction from a CPA/Tax Atty. It will pay off.