1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

S.E. Growing Season

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Jody P, Mar 15, 2006.

1. Jody P

Jody P LawnSite Member

Same question posted earlier / different wrapper.

We maintain Model & Spec Homes year round. I am going to get out of the Residential Building market and move into residential/commercial. What I am trying to figure out is how many months I need to set the billing cycle on.
    If the growing/mowing season is from March to November do I figure a 40 week long season and bill out 9 months or do I figure the total cost and bill it in 12 payments? (I know that some yards depending on the type of lawn will have shorter seasons.)
  2. jcthorne

jcthorne LawnSite Member

Commercial accounts need to be figured on a 52 week season with a 12 month billing cycle. Amount of visits depends on the customers needs and I always offer options.
    (26 visits per year)-3 times a month April thru Sept.; 2 times a month October and March; 1 time a month November thru February.
    (32 visits per year)-4 times a month April thru Sept.; (weekly vistis during growing season vs. every 10 days.) Other months same as above.
    36 visits per year)-4 times a month April thru Sept.; Bi-weekly the remainder of the year.

This offers a total landcare plan for your account. Mowing, weed-eating, clean-up, leaf removal, (36 visits a year is the best option with properties that have large amounts of trees) mulching (annual or bi-annual), hedge trimming, etc.

Pricing depends on the options they choose.

I also provide the pre-merge, post-merge, and fertilization on my commercial properties. If your not licensed to spray the best option is to find a good company and sub out all of the weed applications.

Commercial accounts generally want a hands free approach and if your company can handle all facets of their landcare needs you'll have a better chance of landing the business.

Hope this helps.