1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

S. FL. Hedge Installation HELP!!

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by oceanpotion, Oct 27, 2006.

1. oceanpotion

oceanpotion LawnSite Member

A group of neighbors from a trailer park got one of my flyers and called me up. They told me kids were wandering through their yards at night. They want me to install some sort of privacy hedge along the back of 3 double wide trailers... I still have to take a measurement and everything but the question I wanna ask is: What kind of hedge could I install that doesnt require alot of irrigation? They do not have irrigation and do not want to get installed..they want to save $... Im worried I may just be doing all this for personal research purposes but I would still like to be able to give them a quote and perhaps someday be able to do the whole 3 in a quick little row. Any links in regard to the above question would be appreciated also
  2. dlm17

dlm17 LawnSite Member

The Standard Answer Of Course Would Be Ficus After Watering In For A Couple Of Weeks They Will Pretty Much Take Care Of Themselves, But Once They Get To The Desired Height They Will Need To Be Trimmed About Every Two To Three Months, Cocoplum Is A Xeriscape Plant That Would Do The Job But Is Very Slow Growing, Or You Could Use Areca Palms, All Will Work, Ficus Is Probably The Cheapest To Install
  3. Kate Butler

Kate Butler LawnSite Senior Member

Is it ONLY for visual privacy, or is it supposed to be a sort of barrier to keep the tresspassers out?
  4. oceanpotion

oceanpotion LawnSite Member

dlm: I forgot to mention that they were not allowed to use ficus because it hard been an issue w/some of the plumbing. I also that about using the palms.. they get thick!

KB: I think they're primarily concerned about keeping the kids from wandering.
  5. Kate Butler

Cactus will do the trick; Euphorbia milli (crown of thorns), Agave (many sorts), Opuntias (again, many sorts). Call Mounts Botanical Gardens (I think they're on Military Trail) and ask for recommendations for this particular situation.

Look into attending TPIE in Ft Lauderdale in January to learn A LOT about what's available to the industry for plant materials.
  6. dlm17

dlm17 LawnSite Member

Ocean, The Arecas Will Probably Do The Best For You And Also Give The Best Initial Impact I Just Put Some In On Friday 8 Footers, Paid Eighty Each 200 In The Ground Didnt Have To Wait For Them To Grow, You Coud Go Smaller If Money Becomes An Issue Just Remember If You Go Smaller You Will Need More To Make It Look Like It Will Be Full Enough, As For Kate Suggestions I Dont Think Using Any Kind Of Cactus Would Be Prudent The Liability Could Be A Real Problem, Plus They Only Grow To Be About 24 Inches Tall, If You Need More Suggestions Pm Me
  7. HydroCutter

HydroCutter LawnSite Member

How about Barberries or Holly's? I have a great article and/or link for you if you send me your email address. PM me or go to my website and email me

8. Lawnworks

Lawnworks LawnSite Fanatic
    from usa

Just use burfordi hollies... 3 gallon will be around $8. You need something that will discourage people from walking through.
  9. Kate Butler

I've seen crown of thorns grown in large outdoor pots that were 4' tall (above the soil surface). If liability is an issue, how do you deal with the toxic (to some people) sap of oleanders, poison ivy, Florida holly (Schinus terebinthifolius) and other plants? If you don't want the traffic, erect a barricade - no matter whether it's living or a fence.

BTW, Areca palms are a favorite food for a stinging caterpillar (more potential liability?). http://ohioline.osu.edu/hyg-fact/2000/2130.html
  10. yamadooski

yamadooski LawnSite Senior Member

I would do the Areca Palms and inbetween each palm a bougainvilliea bush.
    1. they cant walk through an Areca.
    2. They wont want to walk through a bougainvilliea bush..:laugh:

Hey DLM17 where did you get the Arecas? Both of my suppliers on the west coast are out of them. Looks like I have to head to Miami...PM me with info.