?'s for you summer grass guys

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by Ron95gt, Apr 5, 2006.

1. Ron95gt

Ron95gt LawnSite Member

1) Can anybody identify the below pictured weed? I have small, but hardy St. Augustine yard in front of my wife's business. But, every fall, this weed shows up, and by spring, 90% of the St. Augustine is gone, and it takes till August before it's recovered and like a carpet. Is this chickweed? I've tried Pennington's St. Augustine Weed&Feed, but it didn't seem to touch it.

2) Also, in a duel between zoysia and crabgrass, which one will prevail? I have some zenith zoysia growing(2nd season) and the two are "fixin 2 duke it out"! If the zoysia will prevail, I'll just leave it be.

3)Sort of off topic question thrown in. Moles are running rampant on about 2 acres of my yard. In doing a quick search on here, it appears that the only way to get rid of them is to like crawl around with a flashlight trying to watch 200 tunnels at the same time to see which one is moving??? I mean Geez, there's gotta be something else that works that you spread on the yard???
    Thanks in advance for any help on these things.

100_1443.jpg

2. hmartin

hmartin LawnSite Senior Member

Ron,
    Ric is one on the St. Augustine experts around here, so if he replies listen up. You said that the weed grows rampantly in the winter, so it must be a winter annual. A pre-emergent that controls broadleafs like Simazine can be used a month or so before the weeds start growing. Simazine also has some post emerge control. There are few 3-way formulations that are safe for St. Augustine, depending on what variety you have. Be sure to closely read and follow the label. Don't let any tell you to go get a jug of 2-4d.

3. somo1

somo1 LawnSite Member

To answer your first question it looks like the weed is veronica or corn speedwell. Its easy to get rid of with a broadleaf herbicide. #2 I believe that crabgrass will prevail untill your zoysia is so thick it chokes it out. Even that will depend on when your zoysia comes out of being dormant. #3 Try Talprid you can buy it from Lesco, I've never used it but am going to try it after all that I have read from others using it. Good Luck

4. upidstay

upidstay LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CT

That looks like speedwell to me too. I'd put my money on the Zoysia. As far as moles go, go around with a stick and some flags, Poke holes in the tunnels and flag the holes. Check them every day for 3 days. The one's they fixed are the main tunnels. Buy some Talpirid worm bait and treat these tunnels. this should take care of your moles.

5. lilmarvin4064

lilmarvin4064 LawnSite Senior Member

why in the heck is there st. augustine there anyway? I wouldn't think it would be a suitable grass for your area.