1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

S/P push mower

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by 1999frontier, Jul 4, 2012.

1. 1999frontier

1999frontier LawnSite Senior Member
    from NC

I'm looking for some advice on getting a new self propelled walkbehind mower. My Craftsman died on me after about 5 or 6 years. I will use it on my own yard when I get leaves up in the fall. Never had a bagger with a push mower before so I thought I would get one with the new one. I may cut my grass with it every once in a while when I want to get a little more exercsie. I also, cut a lady's yard that goes to my church that takes about 15-20 minutes to mow total. That's the only time I would use it. Which would you suggest and I don't and can't break the bank. Definately less than $350 and thats pushing it a little. Any help I would appreciate it.

2. easy-lift guy

easy-lift guy LawnSite Gold Member

Save your money and increase your budget to afford a Honda or the like. Don't buy junk in the first place.
    easy-lift guy

3. MS_SURVEYOR

MS_SURVEYOR LawnSite Bronze Member

I feel the same way. Junk is junk. Cheaper in the short run. But will cost in the long haul.

Thy this Honda.

Model # HRR216VKA

[​IMG]

I've used this model this past spring. Cost just a little more but does a good job.

4. 1999frontier

from NC

Our Sears store closed about 6 months ago and our Home Depot closed about 2 years ago. I was looking on Lowes's website and I saw a Troy Bilt with bagger for $279, then I saw a Husqavarna (however you spell it) for about $339. I think the Hus. had a Honda engine on it, but I haven't looked at it in person. I think the cheapest Honda mower I've seen is like $399.

5. Nutsedge

Nutsedge LawnSite Member
    from STL, MO

:drinkup::clapping:

My sentiments exactly, almost!

Not sure how handy/knowledgeable you are about lawn equipment but I scored a Honda mower on Craigslist that should have been well over $500 for about half that.

6. sloan74

sloan74 LawnSite Member

X2 craigslist

7. 1999frontier

from NC

My dad took my lawnmower to a mechanic this morning since I'm at work. He thought it was the Diaphram on the carb. we will see, if not I may have to buy one.

8. Nutsedge

Nutsedge LawnSite Member
    from STL, MO

JUst tell him or your father to replace the diaphragms/internals of the carb, i.e. put a re-build kit in it.

If you get charged more than $40, go find a Honda on CList! :walking:

9. Nutsedge

Nutsedge LawnSite Member
    from STL, MO

Ironically though, with the proliferation of ethanol in our gasoline the carbs are the biggest point of issues with Honda mowers.

I know it's off topic but heres how you keep your carb clean if you dont have Ethanol free gas available to you.

ALWAYS use a fuel stabilizer (Sta-Bil/etc), NEVER leave fuel in the tank/mower over the off season/winter, fill your fuel tank as full as possible AFTER you have mowed (reduce amount of air in tank for the Ethanol to react with).

10. 1999frontier

from NC

They mechanic said if that's what's wrong with it the diaphragm and labor $20
    Posted via Mobile Device